Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 113 of 113
  1. #101
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    I have read on a few locations that the older Fox forks use a Torco RSF Medium oil (see pictures). Attachment 773728Attachment 773729

    The newer Fox oils are apparently made by someone else, and they are not the same (weight, color combination) as any they sell to the public. There seem to be 'red' and 'green' versions.

    Green:

    Has a cST of 47, but called 10wt.

    Attachment 773731

    Attachment 773732Attachment 773733

    I read Rockshox don't use Torco, but have yet to work out more about what they might use.

    NOTE: I am working under the assumption that if the bottle is the same as a motorcycle brand, then it's almost certainly made by them, but may be a grade/mixture that isn't sold direct.

    My Torco RSF Medium is widely claimed to be exactly what Fox use. I have bought a bottle (1/3 the price of Fox fluid) and have used it successfully (although I don't know if I could tell if it was not exactly the same). The Torco/old Fox is only specified for a few forks, most use the newer bottles.
    Hi, take a look at this chart here :

    Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

    And in particular this exact file :



    But yes, you could try to find the equivalent in motorcycle world. Many of us here uses Bel-Ray Motorcycle fork oil, I've been using it to replace 5w to 15w RS and Marzzochi oil (Marzzochi is Golden Spectro) and it's all good. Honestly if you take the time to do your maths, you may end up with a way cheapest oil cost than that uberly expensive Fox stuff.

    Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  2. #102
    They Call Me "B"
    Reputation: Brannonpack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    7
    New to MTB'n... Need help with Fork adjustments... Explanations? Can someone explain when I would "Lockout" my forks when riding? Have a ROCKSHOX XC 32 TK 29er Fork... I ride REAL rooted/stumpy trails in the hills of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. Read some stud 'bout people blowing out there shocks on roots and wanted to know when it was appropriate to lockout the travel on the fork?

    Also... Can someone explain the external rebound adjustments? I'm 6'3 and 200lbs on a NORCO Charger 9.1 29er... Is there a preferred point or is it personal preference for riding rough terrain?

    Thanks...

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5
    Hi to all. I'm new to a forum so i hope I'm in the right theme. I have Giant Reign 1 2013 and want to service fork (talas ctd 150mm). I was googleing without resoults, just want to find manual on how to do it, oil levels. Fork works like it is pretty dry :S. Hope someone can help.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sch3ll3 View Post
    Hi to all. I'm new to a forum so i hope I'm in the right theme. I have Giant Reign 1 2013 and want to service fork (talas ctd 150mm). I was googleing without resoults, just want to find manual on how to do it, oil levels. Fork works like it is pretty dry :S. Hope someone can help.
    Hey I just serviced my fox float fork myself for the first time the other day and it wasn't too bad! My suggestion is to check out what you can find searching on youtube "how to service fox talas" and you should have not problem doing it yourself.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sagitt77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    113
    Sorry about digression but I didn't find any proper topic and I don't want to start a new one. I have a question, maybe silly (or even stupid...) but I wonder if a Rock Shox Reba 29' 2012 lowers would match to Reba 26' 2012 upper legs? I'm thinking about not-expensive 26' fork adaptation to biggest wheel....

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1
    Hi, thanks for the mass of information in this thread. I am shortly going to be attempting to service my Thor's Damper, replacing the oil etc. I have read the oil volume pdf and overviews provided in 2nd post but was wondering whether anyone had attempted this themselves or had any info detailing the damper service procedure?

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    that will work just check the casting depth in the foot-nut area.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    this is what im replying to above
    Quote Originally Posted by sagitt77 View Post
    Sorry about digression but I didn't find any proper topic and I don't want to start a new one. I have a question, maybe silly (or even stupid...) but I wonder if a Rock Shox Reba 29' 2012 lowers would match to Reba 26' 2012 upper legs? I'm thinking about not-expensive 26' fork adaptation to biggest wheel....

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9
    I wonna know the difference between
    sr Suntour xct v2
    and

    SUNTOUR - M3030 DS 26
    so if anyone knows anything i would be grateful

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3
    looks like both are about the same one is a disk (3030) and the other in v-brake

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspensionKing View Post
    looks like both are about the same one is a disk (3030) and the other in v-brake
    They both have v-brake and disk versions i have V2 in disk+v brake version
    but i have an option to replace it for 3030

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannonpack View Post
    New to MTB'n... Need help with Fork adjustments... Explanations? Can someone explain when I would "Lockout" my forks when riding? Have a ROCKSHOX XC 32 TK 29er Fork... I ride REAL rooted/stumpy trails in the hills of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. Read some stud 'bout people blowing out there shocks on roots and wanted to know when it was appropriate to lockout the travel on the fork?

    Also... Can someone explain the external rebound adjustments? I'm 6'3 and 200lbs on a NORCO Charger 9.1 29er... Is there a preferred point or is it personal preference for riding rough terrain?

    Thanks...
    People usually use the lockout during climbs to prevent the front end from bobbing, especially when they're climbing while out of the saddle. It also comes in handy on pavement and smooth trails.

    As for the rebound adjustment, the setting could be different for everyone. You don't want it too fast where it bounces the front of the bike up. Turn your rebound to the slowest and back it off a few clicks. Then jump off a curb or roll down one to test it out.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,839
    I bought a 2014 Intense Spider comp demo bike a month ago, only did a few short rides, but the fork was always harsh over small bumps, even using ~20psi less than Fox recommends to get 20% sag, so I decided to drain/inspect the lowers, just in case they were underfilled, or dirty (I have no idea how much demo riding it got over their 5 events), or whatever. (the fork is a Fox Talas 34 29er CTD Adj) - When I knocked free the shafts, there was a good puff of air released, then both legs drained a decent oil volume, and the seals/wipers looked good, still had clean white grease on them, so I put it back together and refilled the bath oil. Then, the fork felt night and day smoother, and I had to increase pressure back to what Fox recommends to get 20% sag.

    So, for the lower(s) to be pressurized, is it most likely a Talas seal leak, or can it "just happen" after being ridden only a few times over the season?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •