Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    My Rockshox Recon SL Solo Air Gold has oil coming up on the bit that goes into the shock. does this mean they need a service cause i have had them for a year? Or has a seal broke or something? Thanks

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Andythemtbking View Post
    My Rockshox Recon SL Solo Air Gold has oil coming up on the bit that goes into the shock. does this mean they need a service cause i have had them for a year? Or has a seal broke or something? Thanks
    Probably need to be serviced and maybe new seals, but definitively you need to change the oil, clean the seals and the internals. The "bit that goes into the shock" is called stanchion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Thanks, Is there a certain oil i need to get and a certain grease for the seals? And any good links to a good video to show how to do it would be helpful! I've never serviced shocks before. Thanks

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Andythemtbking View Post
    Thanks, Is there a certain oil i need to get and a certain grease for the seals? And any good links to a good video to show how to do it would be helpful! I've never serviced shocks before. Thanks
    No expert here, but I managed to service with success all my suspension components. Key is to get as much info, tips and all the tools you need before you start.

RS forks are very easy to service. Like very easy. You can get the manual for your fork on Rock Shox (SRAM) website. Assuming it's a 2011 model fork, here's the link for the service manual pdf : http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...cal-manual.pdf

This manual have instructions for different variations of the Recon, so you need to jump to the pages where your fork is detailed.

For oil, you'll need Rock Shox 5wt and some 15wt, but you can easily use motorcycle fork oil, such as Bel-Ray high performance fork oil, the 5w is correct and you can also get some 7.5w or 10w since you'll also need some 15wt oil for the top of the damper. Bel-Ray oil is just a bit more dense than RS one, but you should be alright. Please feel free to correct me on this.

For grease, some Judy Butter is perfect, you'll usually have to grease the seals, bushings, dust wiper lips (seals and dust wipers have a small lip inside where you can stick some grease and it will stay there to help lube the stanchions), also grease any o-rings and moving parts, internals threads, etc. You can order the Judy Butter online if your LBS don't have it. Should be about $10 max for 1oz. You don't need a lot of it btw. Slick Honey (paint ball product) or Silkolene (motorcycle) are also similar greases. Those are formulated not to be dissolved by oil over time and stay put.

Screw the vids, you're not servicing a Fox, you'll only need a wrench and flat blade screwdriver (well and a few more standard tools, but nothing special beside o-clip pliers)

You're welcome.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Thank you, that's a great help!

Huckin' trails
    Welcome

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Where do you guys usually buy/get o-rings or seals for servicing forks?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by cageman View Post
    Where do you guys usually buy/get o-rings or seals for servicing forks?
    I buy my o-rings at the hardware store, plumber's section. Never had to buy seals yet, but I think enduroforkseals.com is a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I buy my o-rings at the hardware store, plumber's section. Never had to buy seals yet, but I think enduroforkseals.com is a good place to start.
    I tried enduroforkselas.com, but the particular seal I'm looking for was not available.

RE: o-rings. I was looking for metric o-rings, but only a few nearby stores had limited selections of metric o-rings. Do you have any recommendation on hardware stores?

Huckin' trails
    Well I have a very nice specialized hardware store that got tons of metric bolts and stuff. You can sometime find some in the plumber section.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Well I have a very nice specialized hardware store that got tons of metric bolts and stuff. You can sometime find some in the plumber section.
    I will check out plumber sections. Typical hardware stores, like ACE, Lowes, or Home Depot, are ones I can find near my place. I'm in Seattle area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks, very helpful

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What does it mean if your FLOAT R shock(which is only a year old and it the 2011 version) is beginning to squeak a little as when it is contracting when riding? Repair? Seal Replacement?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceTrailRoamer View Post
    What does it mean if your FLOAT R shock(which is only a year old and it the 2011 version) is beginning to squeak a little as when it is contracting when riding? Repair? Seal Replacement?
    Service at the very least.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    hey guys new here....

just wondering does anyone know where i might find a guide for stripping and rebuilding my fox van-r rear shock (coil) some of these guides look great considering getting a fox dhx just cause that guide is here lol

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi all another newbie.

I need info on replacing my seals on my Fox 32 Float RL w/lockout.
    I have been studying this and article on Bike Radar about how to service your seals and it shows you how to remove your lowers. But it doesnt say anything about lock out.

I would like to give it a go my self rather than paying shop to do it.I was just want to now if the lock out will change anything ? does the lockout need to be removed etc??? Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone have anly idea where I can get a setup or tuning guide fo a Rock Shox Monarch RT, rear suspension shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi, does anyone know how to tighten the right side of a 2011 Fox Float 36 ?

The thin metal or plastic that you can see under the Compression/Lockout Dial is loose and oil is slowly leaking out when i rest my bike on its side.

It doesn't leak much if i dont rest my bike on the side so i assume it's a small problem?

been googling alot but i cant find any site that teaches you step by step so i can see how to tighten that part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If anyone wants to adjust the performance of their fox float for free,check this out.You tube,fox float volume reducer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks....very informative

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2008 Rockshox Recon bottoming out

It appears that my Recon is in need of a rebuild. I noted oil leaking from the rebound damper adjuster and on my last ride I felt the shock just stop working at all. I think the oil from the upper has slowly leaked to the bottom so I figure it is time for some maintenance to be done before damaging the fork. Can any one recommend a good place to purchase the kit to do this job? I will need the kit as well as 5 & 15 wt oil. My local bike shop was not very helpfull with info or ability to get the parts and being a do it yourselfer on everything else mechanical I figure I can give it a go. I have nothing to lose as the warranty is long past. Thanks in advance for any help.

Huckin' trails
    First find the service guide online for your fork, see how much oil you need and head to your local motorcycle dealer to buy it. Bel-Ray fork oil is pretty decent. Then online you can order exactly what you need plus some Judy Butter for the seals and o-rings (an once will be plenty for a single rebuild) and get busy.

Best will be to first open and see what needs to be replaced before you order parts. But you probably don't have a week to leave the bike in, waiting for parts.

Don't forget the beer and the music and have fun !

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have the service guide and have read it several times. I did see the volumes specs you mentioned as well. I basically need a good on line source to order the kit from. Most sites I looked at thus far are quite vague on what is included. I figure you guys have done this several times each so you may have a favorite dealer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    PS,
    I grow my hops and make my own beer so no shortage on refreshments in my shop

Huckin' trails
    Well I'm not a suspension expert, just like to fool around and read a lot. And so far I never had to buy any parts for my forks/shocks beside oil and Judy Butter... Guess I'm lucky coz I have 2 forks and shocks from 2000, a Dart 2 from 2010 and '06 Marz and they are still doing good with regular service (oil change and cleaning).

Btw most online site like JensonUSA have live chat feature where you can actually ask them what is exactly into the kit or what would fit your needs. As far as seals and such, they are pretty common standards across the same brand, so do your research.

Btw I hear a lot about enduro fork seals, but never tried them. Take a look on their site you might find more info on what you're looking for too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast