• 06-15-2012
    oldsklrdr
    Fork recommendation? Need X-Vert R replacement
    Long story short.

Broke my old bike out of storage. Has an answer manitou xvert r from 1998. In great condition but I'm going to look into a replacement fork. Been out of the game so long would be interested in suggestions.

Probably looking for something with 100-120mm travel.

http://img.tapatalk.com/60f23af2-f75c-3f04.jpg
  • 06-16-2012
    Dougal
    It fits the vintage of the bike so well, why change it? Complete functional retro bikes aren't easy to find.
  • 06-16-2012
    oldsklrdr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    It fits the vintage of the bike so well, why change it? Complete functional retro bikes aren't easy to find.

True.

At this point I'm going to take it apart. Clean. Regrease and new fluid for tpc damper.

If I replace I will keep on the side.

At this point I'm not ready to purchase brand new bike and keep this on the side as museum piece.

Definitely new tires. Maybe new shocks to take advantage of better technology. Of course I don't know any better having been away from the scene so long. So functional vintage still works for me :)
  • 06-16-2012
    Dougal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    True.

At this point I'm going to take it apart. Clean. Regrease and new fluid for tpc damper.

If I replace I will keep on the side.

At this point I'm not ready to purchase brand new bike and keep this on the side as museum piece.

Definitely new tires. Maybe new shocks to take advantage of better technology. Of course I don't know any better having been away from the scene so long. So functional vintage still works for me :)

Honesly those forks are better performers than most of the stuff on sale today. TPC damper (takes 5wt oil, fill to 1-2 inches above the top piston), coil spring and nice and stiff. One worth upgrade would be seeing if you can replace the MCU above the steel coil spring with more coil spring.
  • 06-17-2012
    bad mechanic
    I'm also a fan of the X-Vert. Good forks with a great damper.

Pull it apart, change the oil, re-grease it and ride it. Personally, I'd also install Enduro seals and ditch the fork boots.
  • 06-17-2012
    oldsklrdr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Honesly those forks are better performers than most of the stuff on sale today. TPC damper (takes 5wt oil, fill to 1-2 inches above the top piston), coil spring and nice and stiff. One worth upgrade would be seeing if you can replace the MCU above the steel coil spring with more coil spring.

If you have any suggestions on where to pick up coil springs to replace the MCU it would be appreciated. I'd love to ditch the MCU stuff.
  • 06-17-2012
    Dougal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I'm also a fan of the X-Vert. Good forks with a great damper.

Pull it apart, change the oil, re-grease it and ride it. Personally, I'd also install Enduro seals and ditch the fork boots.

I wouldn't put Enduro seals in that fork and I definitely wouldn't ditch the boots. They don't fit the vintage and those boots provide good stanchion protection.
    In addition there is only enough space to install wipers in those forks, not seals to keep the grease in.
    I am running the old style Enduro wipers in my Xvert DC with boots, the older seals sat higher and had a lip which the boots clipped over. But those Enduros aren't available any longer.
  • 06-17-2012
    Dougal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    If you have any suggestions on where to pick up coil springs to replace the MCU it would be appreciated. I'd love to ditch the MCU stuff.

What is the total length of the MCU in those? I thought it was around 5", the coil spring below I think was 5.5", it should be possible to fit another one. The same coil was used in the later SX-R, the Xvert Carbon and the Dorado. Orange/red is medium, blue is soft, yellow is firm.
    The blacks and nixons with travel adjust have different springs inside. But it may be possible to match up a suitable length in a Black spring.