Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which fork for Intense 5.5

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hecubus 
#1 ·
A few days ago I posted a question about putting my Fox F100X onto my 5.5 and got shot down in flames. I love the fork and I wish it had 5" but it doesn't. So what fork do I get? Seems to me that there are only two to consider, either a Fox Talas or a Manitou Minute. Personally I prefer Fox in general, better build quality, but they don't have a long travel stable platform. I sent Intense an e-mail and they told me that they recommend a stable platform for the 5.5. It seems they promote Manitou quite a lot. All the 5.5 reviews I've read have Manitou shocks. What would you guys do and why?

#2 ·
Wasn't fox coming out with a F125X this year? Or was that for '05? Seriously though, the Minute isn't a bad choice. I've been riding a Minute 3 since August and honestly have nothing bad to say about it. It doesn't lock out hard like the Fox but does filter pedaling forces very well while remaining extremely smooth. The SPV setting allows for a very wide range of adjustment as far as the forks feel goes. Honestly I find it smoother than my friends TALAS which I have never really liked. Its a little less stiff than the Fox since the stanctions are 30mm instead of 32mm but its not that big of a deal to me at least. I know intense recomends stable platform of some sort but there's no reason you can't ride a standard fork. A talas or even a Vanilla would probably feel quite nice on that bike regardless.

#3 ·
Ronnie, I'm in the same boat as yourself. I'm also seriously thinking of buying the 5.5 and don't know which fork to buy for it. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL as a potential candidate for the frame. Is a stable platform fork really necessary for a frame that isn't likely to be raced? Or would such a fork just kill you on the climbs or give an unbalanced feel to a VPP rear?

#4 ·
I gave up on that same question

I ordered one of the first 5.5 and the only component I broke my head on was the Fork. Fox looks good has a bunch of features and adjustments, but very expensive (Talas). Vanilla I don't like to swap springs and compromise. Manitou Minute don't look very good quality wise, I do have to say I did not ride it yet, but I am not impressed by the quality I see, the past of Manitou reliability does not look good. I don't want to try it out and then realize that it's not perfected yet, also I would like a lookout I ride to the trail. So for now I am going to get me a 03 Z1 FR SL for a decent price, and I will just sit back and watch If a F125X or a F125rlc appears, or a Minute lives up to the hype. The Z1 is going to be the start and may even be what I keep. Who knows?
Hope that helped you any

#5 ·
The Z1 SL should work rather well I would say if you don't care about the extra 1/2 to 1 pound of weight. Its a bit taller axle to crown wise than the other options which should put the head angle at closer to 69 degree. That should make the bike very stable and forgiving at high speed.

#6 ·
Festusjrf said:
Manitou Minute don't look very good quality wise, I do have to say I did not ride it yet, but I am not impressed by the quality I see, the past of Manitou reliability does not look good. I don't want to try it out and then realize that it's not perfected yet, also I would like a lookout I ride to the trail.
And how would you know its quality isn't that nice if you haven't tried it? The Minute is the exact same fork as the already proven Black air forks. Only thing that changes is they removed the standard damping side from the right leg and put in the new SPV system. The crown was also widened a bit to reinforce it. The rest is the same. Same lower legs, air piston internals, sliders, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned over Manitou's quality. Its as good as anything else out there. Everyone makes a batch of dud forks every now and the, and Fox is no exception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.