mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Fork for high speed decent on gravil , rocky roads

Hi I am looking for a fork that can handle high speed descent.
    At the moment i have revelation RL dual air. Once i pick some speed my fork even with compression full open and rebound only on 3 clicks t becomes like a impact drill for concrete in my hands. If i am not going fast the fork is good.

What?
    Rebound 3 clicks from fully open or 3 clicks from fully closed? What year Revelation? It sounds like a rebound problem and its packing up, but the compression damper may be spiking as well. I would save the money that a new fork costs and upgrade the dampers. Chances are since your fork is a dual air and not the Black Box version, it doesnt have the Dual Flow/Rapid Recovery rebound damper which can cause it to "pack up" at high speeds. the RL and RLT dampers are also known for spiking, so an upgrade to the RCT3 compression damper may help as well. Doing both will help and cost about hundreds less then a new fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It is 3 clicks for full open. The fork is with rapid recovery at least this is what i was told when i bought it. I have made full service and everything was good.
    Now when i think about it could be simply limitation due to design . I had a Sektor R before a spring fork and it was handling this with no issues it could be simply the design of the air spring .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you tried faster (all the way out) and slower rebound settings, to see if it improves or just gets worse? That would give you an idea of what's causing the harshness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yes but not last time when i was on that track . To be honest with myself the fork didn't feel responding at all to the road . Maybe if i had setup the rebound to minimum it would have been ok . It was only in the fastest part when the fork was not responding when i was going slower the fork was ok. In the fastest part of the track i reached around 50 to 60 km/h based on my visual observation. That was the moment when the fork was really really harsh .

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Have you tried faster (all the way out) and slower rebound settings, to see if it improves or just gets worse? That would give you an idea of what's causing the harshness.
    Update on the case .I followed this advice and opened the rebound full. And the problem was resolved . The fork was no longer harsh. I manage to hold the handle bars without to much vibration and i take this as a success . The conclusion is keep the rebound wide open on high speed decent. Thank you for all the input . The low speed rebound is the one that controls the end of the stroke of the fork so if it is dialed in it will make the fork not sensitive on small bumps under high speeds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just suggested that to find out if rebound damping was causing the harshness. Having it wide open could make it bouncy on lower speed bumps, so because of the extra high speeds you're seeing, it could benefit from some custom tuning to give you fast high speed rebound, with some control at lower speeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It is possible but i just bought a new fork. This one is going for sale.