dirt roadie

Fork for a flyweight rider

Just looking for some recommendations to upgrade my fork...some background info first to help out...
    I'm 5'6" and 110lb, I ride a Kona Cinder Cone which has the Marzocchi MZ Race (100mm) fork. It's not a bad fork I suppose, but due to my weight it's not much better than a rigid fork going downhill, even on the minimum preload. I have to stand and lean forward going downhill to get any travel (and control) at all. Most of my riding would be classified as XC, and I do participate in some local races.
    I was thinking an 80mm fork might help put my weight on the front more, and I want to cut the total weight of my bike a little. I would still consider a 100mm fork, but no more. As for price, somewhere around the $400US range, give or take. Thanks for any opinions!

mtbr member
    You just need a fork that's appropriatly sprung for your weight. Obviously that's easy to do with somthing air sprung, so I'd go that route. Don't mess with your positioning on the bike to make the fork more heavily weighted- just set up your fork properly! I'd get a 100mm travel fork to keep the geo the same. Somthing along the lines of a Rock Shox Reba should do you nicely. Maybe a Manitou R7 or a Fox Float if you can find a really good deal on one.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Cinder Cone has a very relaxed (for a hardtail) 68 degree HT angle so going with an 80mm might not be too bad of an idea if your looking to get a more quick handling race bike geometry. You'll still be at 69 degrees...not the 71 degrees that most race bikes run (though even Kona's race machines are relaxed HT angles these days). Being 110lbs, I'd go for the SID Race...at $489 if you could swing it (might be able to find a deal on a 2006 for less). I saw this deal on a 2006 Manitou R7 Platinum 80mm for $299 here as well...only about 1/3 of a pound heavier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Smile

My son, who is 86 lbs, runs an R7 super with lock out and has good success. The TPV knob lets him adjust the compression on the fly and lock it out for climbs. I would not mess with the R7 Platinum SPV fork since you are a lighter rider and may have a hard time adjusting the threshold to still get good small bump performance.

dirt roadie
    Thanks for the response everyone! I think I am going to stick with a 100mm fork since I have become accustomed to the laid back geometry of my bike.
    So now I'm between the Reba Race and the R7 Super. I've seen some good deals on the '06 R7 Super, but also decent pricing on the '07 Reba Race. Decisions, decisions....