mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fork Boots on Fox 32

I have a two year old Fox 32 that I am about to do my third rebuild on due to leaky seals. I suspect that this is due to dirt causing the seals to fail.

Anyone decided to use fork boots to prolong the life of the seals?

What boots have you used with success?

mtbr member
    Are you rebuilding with fox stuff? I used Enduro seals and wipers on my first oil change and have been completely satisfied with their products. Buttery smooth.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    3 rebuilds in two years is normal. You want to be changing the bath oil in the fork at those intervals anyway, even if the seals had not failed. Fork boots will just trap more dirt at the seals, potentially destroying the fork.
    Enduro seals void Fox's warranty. Use at your discretion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    3 rebuilds in two years is normal. You want to be changing the bath oil in the fork at those intervals anyway, even if the seals had not failed. Fork boots will just trap more dirt at the seals, potentially destroying the fork.
    Enduro seals void Fox's warranty. Use at your discretion.
    - You want to replace the oil in a Fox every 30 hours of riding.
    - Enduro seals won't void your warranty.
    - Considering Fox's warranty is only one year, the fork is already out of warranty anyway.

To the OP, just upgrade to Enduro seals. They work a lot better than Fox seals at keeping dirt in and oil out, and seem to last a lot longer as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    - You want to replace the oil in a Fox every 30 hours of riding.
    - Enduro seals won't void your warranty.
    - Considering Fox's warranty is only one year, the fork is already out of warranty anyway.

To the OP, just upgrade to Enduro seals. They work a lot better than Fox seals at keeping dirt in and oil out, and seem to last a lot longer as well.
    Have you called Fox and asked? I have. Aftermarket seals void your warranty.
    Why do you think a dry rubber-type wiper is any better than an OEM seal? Fox seals work just fine. Relatively cheap, too. They certainly last long past the recommended service interval.
    Everyone is entitled to their choice of parts for their bike, but if you are going to endorse aftermarket seals, please disclose the repercussions.

mtbr member
    Have you called Fox and asked? I have. Aftermarket seals void your warranty.
    The OP's 2 year old fork is outside it's original warranty, what's the problem again?

The whole "this product voids your warranty" thing is usually blown right out of proportion. For example. If you run an aftermarket set of wipers and the bushings wear slots in the legs, the fork maker cannot claim the wipers were the problem.
    If you were still running the original seals and oil, they could rightfully claim that not ever changing the oil was the problem.

If the crown/steerer starts creaking and moving when you have aftermarket seals installed, again they cannot claim your crown/steerer warranty is void because of your choice in wipers.

But the original post was about boots. Boots are great, I ran them for many years and only stopped because forks no longer fit them. Basically there isn't enough room between the crown and seal head on full compression, so the boots would get blown out the side. There is also no retaining lip to keep them down.

In my experience the claims of boots trapping dirt are completely unfounded. Except of course for lizard skin fork grinders.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why do you think a dry rubber-type wiper is any better than an OEM seal?
    Because it's been my personal experience and the experience of many other riders that Enduro seals work better and last longer. I think the main problem is Fox seals are one piece and compromises have to be made for both the wiper and oil seal portions of it. Enduro seals are a two part system and so can be optimized for each part.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Because it's been my personal experience and the experience of many other riders that Enduro seals work better and last longer. I think the main problem is Fox seals are one piece and compromises have to be made for both the wiper and oil seal portions of it. Enduro seals are a two part system and so can be optimized for each part.
    I run the OEM seals until my first service of the fork, at which time I switch to Enduro without exception. The Enduro seals performed better than OEM seals all four of the Fox forks that I've owned in the past 5 or 6 years. They only cost an extra 15 bucks or so. I've paid a heck of a lot more money than that on parts that don't actually improve anything. Enduro seals are a no brainer.

I wonder if anyone has actually had a warranty claim denied because they've used Enduro seals or if it's just heresay. If so, I'd love to hear the details on that claim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I run the OEM seals until my first service of the fork, at which time I switch to Enduro without exception. The Enduro seals performed better than OEM seals all four of the Fox forks that I've owned in the past 5 or 6 years.
    I do exactly the same thing. This is on 5 Foxes I've personally owned, and the 9 Fox forks I maintain on friends' bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    They only cost an extra 15 bucks or so.
    The new Fox seals are $25, so even the price becomes a wash.