Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fork boots

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    $500 bikes cant be speced with $300 forks. The problem is when people take cheap parts/bikes, such as low end Suntour, RST, RS Darts and other low end forks and use them for riding there are not intended to take. Same goes for handlebars, wheel, ect...... If you have cheap stuff and you beat on it, It will eventually fail, sometimes catastrophically. Low end parts exist because there is a market for them, usually by causal riders who do very light riding, or are just starting out.
    The RS Dart is LIGHTYEARS further than Suntour and RST forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Lightyears? No. Comparing the Dart to Suntour or RST is like comparing garbage to rubbish and trash.

None of them have any place on a performance mountain bike.

mtbr member
    From memory those seals pack with dust and start weeping relatively easily. I'd keep the boots, consider a small zip-tie around them at the bottom to keep them engaged around the seal.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    From memory those seals pack with dust and start weeping relatively easily. I'd keep the boots, consider a small zip-tie around them at the bottom to keep them engaged around the seal.
    thanks for the heads up on the wiper seals. good idea on the zip tie, i didn't think of that! i gotta find something that's able to unlock and lock now so it'd be easier for maintenance and back to "zip-tieing" it. thanks for the tip

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    sorry for the thread revival. i have a 99 rock shox judy c fork and was wondering the same if it'd be fine to remove the rubber accordion type fork boots. the problem is it doesn't cover all the way from the top to the bottom of the stanchions... i pull it down halfway the stanchions length so it pushes against the bottom part. for road and smooth rides, it works fine. but when i use it on the trails with pretty rough terrain, the short length of the boots causes it to slowly get pushed up to the top part. in the end, i just notice the boot to be just "hanging" with the seals showing...

from what i understand, as long as i do maintenance and it has good wiper seals it should be fine for the most part. here's a pic of the seal part: is that wiper seal acceptable? is it even a wiper seal (fork being a '99 model)? btw, it hangs like that after riding my local trails...
    If you want to run without the boots you'll need to upgrade your wipers to Enduros:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id46.html[/url]

However, they cost about $29 with shipping, and that's too much money to put into that fork. Things have come a long way since the Judy and you can buy a lot of fork for $250.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 11-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    If you want to run without the boots you'll need to upgrade your wipers to Enduros:
    56ct Blue Sapphire 18K White Gold Stackable Eternity Ring | eBay

However, they cost about $29 with shipping, and that's too much money to put into that fork. Things have come a long way since the Judy and you can buy a lot of fork for $250.
    yeah, i figured it'd be better to get a newer fork. scouring ebay for forks atm but i still don't know yet which ones would be compatible and how much travel i can go without messing up my bike. gonna stick with this and use the zip-tie solution for now.

"El Whatever"
    56ct Blue Sapphire 18K White Gold Stackable Eternity Ring | eBay
    Dafuq????

Anyway... Agreed that low end Suntour are crap. 100%. However, in my experience, they're really hard to break and I simply upgraded mine based on their crappy performance. YMMV.

OP... a variation of +/-20mm normally is ok, unless you're at the very edge of your frame allowed travel.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Dafuq????
    Um...just ignore that. It's not for you.

Here is the correct link:
    SID®/JUDY®/PILOT® SEAL KIT

"El Whatever"
    Um...just ignore that. It's not for you.
    You just broke my heart...
    Check my Site

What?
    I would love for you to explain, in detail, what makes it light years better.

I also think its funny that you are comparing the worst fork RS makes to everything Suntour makes. As stated in previous posts, Suntour makes some really nice mid level products, even a fork with carbon lowers. But anyway, Please explain why a dart is so good. We are all listening.

mtbr member

I also think its funny that you are comparing the worst fork RS makes to everything Suntour makes. As stated in previous posts, Suntour makes some really nice mid level products, even a fork with carbon lowers. But anyway, Please explain why a dart is so good. We are all listening.
    Didn't Suntour make this?: EXCLUSIVE: DVO Emerald Inverted DH Fork - First Look - Pinkbike
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

"El Whatever"
    ...Suntour makes some really nice mid level products, even a fork with carbon lowers
    Julie Bresset thinks they're good enough for Olympic Gold...

yeah, I know "you can't compare what the pros use, yadda, yadda, yadda..."

Check my Site

banned
    Jan 2012

The Dart has steel bushings unlike the XCT/M/R which have plastic bushings, And it has a REAL oil damped damper, And most of it: It can be serviced unlike Suntour, Also, the Dart isn't that bad, Its not so good as a Recon or so, but it's better than nothing imho.

What?
    The Dart has steel bushings unlike the XCT/M/R which have plastic bushings, And it has a REAL oil damped damper, And most of it: It can be serviced unlike Suntour, Also, the Dart isn't that bad, Its not so good as a Recon or so, but it's better than nothing imho.
    It lubed properly, bushing material is fairly irrelevant( and I have never heard of a steel bushing as it would likely damage the stanchions. All my forks, Including a RS Lyrik do not have metal bushings)

Some Darts have hydraulic dampers(the Dart 1 has no damper at all) Most of the suntour forks that come on MTB bikes also have hydraulic dampers as well (the speed lock damper) Only the very low end suntour forks, most of which come on bike path bikes come with a mechanical lock out.

All forks can be serviced. This includes any fork Suntour makes(and all forks need service too)

Darts also have 28.6mm stanchion tubes where even the lowest suntour MTB forks have 30mm, most have 32mm. So would definitely be a check in suntours favor over a dart.

A dart is better then nothing, but so is a lot of what suntour makes. However you want to slice it, a RS Dart is on the same level as the low end suntour forks. It is far from lightyears ahead of them as you stated.

Huckin' trails
    Funny, as I'm reading the 2 last posts here, I'm currently in the middle of servicing my 2009 Dart 2 that has been bought new in summer 2010, and ridden almost daily since as a commuter fork with some light trail and urban assault. Did first service at 1 year and 1 000km, then again on late November 2011, then June 2012 and now. It's been over two full years of riding, including full time winter in nasty urban chemicals and salt, also riding on the beach shore all summers, and so far I have not had any issue with it. Coil spring in the left stanchion and oil damper in the right one. Only preload adjuster and no other fuzz. Going on it's third winter and it's as new as day 1 in terms of performance and feel. Only the usual scuff and small scratches can tell it's been used. Maybe not the best fork, but surely a very nice value for a year round commuter bike. For $100, it's been flawless. I'd sure take a 12yo Judy Race over this Dart anyway for any trail riding, but it's not what I bought this fork for. Snack time is over, I'll go back to the fork service now.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2