mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Idea! Fork adapter gizmo

Hey guys,
    I've got a cheap asian made dual suspension mountain bike and I wanted to fit better front forks on the thing but the threaded 1" streerer makes this almost impossible because the decent modern gear uses the 11/8" standard. I figure I need a replacement steer tube that will let me adapt an 11/8" crown to a 1" threaded head tube setup. Does anybody know of such an adapter tube or do I have to make my own?.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ride hard take risks
    New bike time if it a cheap bike like you say you'll break it with any good equipment added on. Give that bike away to a charity, you can replace it for about 500.00 or less. Make someone else happy .

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by twum_au
    Hey guys,
    I've got a cheap asian made dual suspension mountain bike and I wanted to fit better front forks on the thing but the threaded 1" streerer makes this almost impossible because the decent modern gear uses the 11/8" standard. I figure I need a replacement steer tube that will let me adapt an 11/8" crown to a 1" threaded head tube setup. Does anybody know of such an adapter tube or do I have to make my own?.
    Larger can't be made smaller with an adapter... You can find an oldschool fork with a 1 inch steerer. But it's not worth it. Just get a new bike. Most good bikes these days are outsourced to Asia too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have mentioned this idea to a few guys on ebay who sell bike bits and they reckon its a cool idea because they know (as I do) that there are thousands of folks out there who own el cheapo department store bikes like mine, non bike fanatics who just want to add a little comfort to their outdoor exercise without major expense. Right now on Ebay a dude has an old rockshox that would fit my bike and it will sell for big bucks because there is a demand for this stuff and they are as rare as a three legged chicken. I can get a good 1 1/8th inch fork for $40 add a $20 adapter to my $50 bike and have a $110 solution and that's what the market wants. Sorry, throwing an extra $500 bucks at the solution to replace what I've got makes little sense to a non bike fanatic who is dirt poor. Yes the gizmo is technically feasable but I'll need a lathe and frankly I'd rather buy it than build it, too many projects on the go.

Meh.
    I have mentioned this idea to a few guys on ebay who sell bike bits and they reckon its a cool idea because they know (as I do) that there are thousands of folks out there who own el cheapo department store bikes like mine, non bike fanatics who just want to add a little comfort to their outdoor exercise without major expense. Right now on Ebay a dude has an old rockshox that would fit my bike and it will sell for big bucks because there is a demand for this stuff and they are as rare as a three legged chicken. I can get a good 1 1/8th inch fork for $40 add a $20 adapter to my $50 bike and have a $110 solution and that's what the market wants. Sorry, throwing an extra $500 bucks at the solution to replace what I've got makes little sense to a non bike fanatic who is dirt poor. Yes the gizmo is technically feasable but I'll need a lathe and frankly I'd rather buy it than build it, too many projects on the go.
    You'll need to replacee the whole steerer in order to make it fit. You can make an adapter for a larger rod fit into a smaller whole. I'm not sure how to explain it much more simply. Lathing a steer tube is a horrible idea. It's only that thick, and taking material off of it is affecting it's structural integrity.

No, threaded 1 inch forks don't go for that much. That's ebay sellers trying to get you to throw down some rediculous bid.

New bike... Giant Boulder is like 180 bucks. And it's going to be lighter, stronger, more durable, and better riding than your department store bike. And you won't have problems like this in the future.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Yes the gizmo is technically feasable but I'll need a lathe and frankly I'd rather buy it than build it, too many projects on the go.
    No it's really not......well if you don't want a headset it might be but then that would make steering rather difficult. How's it go, You can put a dress on a pig but it's still a pig.
    "Do not touch the trim"

So you planning on just buying a 1" threaded steerer tube for your frankenstein converter you plan to make on the lathe? Or you going to reuse the steerer tube from your present fork? If you can't get a threaded steerer then you have the additional need for a new headset, stem and possibly handlebars. Get a new bike, get rid of the POS department store bike rather than "upgrade" it.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ride hard take risks
    Just leave it be, he has a idea & he wants to make it work, whaever it cost time or labor it will make him happy. And thats the bottom line .

All 26.5" all the time!
    Hey guys,
    Hmmm..... if I understand you correctly, you want to remove the 1 1/8" steerer tube out of a press fit crown/steerer assembly, then install a 1" threaded steerer with a tubular shim.

To the best of my knowledge, no such shim exists. Fork crowns are drilled specificly for the exact size steerer. Due to liabilty reasons, I doubt anyone would try to market a product like that. There's no way to predict what kind of damage can happen to the crown during pressing operations.