mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Fork 4 Litespeed Tellico 99. They recommend 60/63mm any ideas $$ and where

Hi I have a 1998/99 Litespeed Tellico and I need to get a new shock. Litespeed/Merlin recommend that I stick with 60/63mm travel as this frame was designed with that travel. Any ideas on Fork choices, where I can get them and if an after market disc conversion is possible. The non drive dropout doen't have the bolt holes for their own conversion. This is a great bike and I would like to keep it running and pick up a 29er for the more technical stuff.
    Suggestions and ideas appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    T

mtbr member
    Price range?

An older sid would work well. They're 80mm out of the box, but are easy to space down to whatever you'd like. Actually, anything from RS with a solo air spring is easy to lower.

mtbr member
    I had a Tellico of the same vintage. Nice riding bike, just little too flexy for my clyde butt. I ran an 80mm fork and thought the handling and climbing quite nice. I also had custom frame builder Jim Kish weld on a rear disc brake tab. Ran about $200 for the Ti tab....This is before I ran the fork at 80mm. Had it at 100mm, but the front was too light on climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the responses and the feedback. I will search out a SID or similar. Could I space down the fork myself and where do I get the spacers? I am in Bay Area, Where is Jim Kish?
    Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    http://www.kishbike.com/
    He's in Grover Beach, CA. His office is in San Luis Obispo. I'm only 30 minutes away so I dropped it off at his workshop. Great work too. I can't find a better picture of the welds he did since I sold the bike...but it was tops.

There was one other place I found that would do it for less, but with shipping to and from it was going to cost more...can't remember the name right now.
    I had emailed a guy, Matt Chester, found some info on custom Ti bike he builds, and he sent me a list of recommended frame builders who could do it.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by PorcupineRim
    Thanks for the responses and the feedback. I will search out a SID or similar. Could I space down the fork myself and where do I get the spacers? I am in Bay Area, Where is Jim Kish?
    Thanks so much!
    It is fairly easy to space it down to less travel. I had a link to instructions on how to do it without removing the lower legs, but I think it is actually no trouble to just pull off the lowers to do it. It reduces the chance of displacing the bump stop. Make sure you have some suspension oil on hand as you will need to put some back in the lowers and the +air chamber.

I'll post pictures of my McMahon Ti, which is essentially a 1994 Litespeed Obed. I was in the same boat you are a year ago until I figure out about reducing travel on a SID. Now I have an 06 or 07 SID Race on that bike lowered to 60mm. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks Michael!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't imagine 80mm messing up the geometry much, you actually prefer the slightly slacker angles that 80mm gives you.

I actually set my "optimized for 80mm" hardtail up with 100mm last week. I may actually prefer the 80mm setting better, but I did a huge ride yesterday and it really doesn't make a huge difference, when you think about what is available in terms of forks, I think 80mm makes better sense.
    Last edited by Jayem; 03-02-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I can't imagine 80mm messing up the geometry much, you actually prefer the slightly slacker angles that 80mm gives you.
    I would have expected by 99 they would already be correcting for 80mm travel. But based on their 99 catalog the geometry of their mtn frames was based on a 434mm A2C fork at 20mm of sag and a 12mmheadset lower stack height. Go figure.
    Yes I am!

bonked
    Here you go, the picture I promised. I was off today and it was actually sunny and warmer so I snapped some of a few of my bikes

It's a McMahon Racing, which in this case was built by Litespeed and is for all intents and purposes an Obed. Other McMahons were built by Sandvik. I have the fork dropped to 60mm or so with the all travel spacer to keep it at the originally designed fork length.
    Yes I am!