mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Fluid leak and Pressure Problem in Fox Float R, 2005

My rear Fox shock, Float R, leaks fluid every time I disengage the air pump. I cannot even release pressure with the button on the pump because the fluid appears to be getting in the way. To add to this, my shock seems to be building pressure, so I have to release pressure by repeatedly screwing on, then off, the air pump.

Obviously, riding the bike (pumping the shock) builds pressure and I have a bit of a malfunction, right?

I had it rebuilt not too long ago by my LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is the fluid blue or red?
    If it is red, it is likely the damper fluid and you definitely have an issue and need a rebuild.
    If it is blue-ish, it is likely the float fluid. This is not necessarily a performance issue, just a hassle for sure.
    Is the shock mounted upside down or horizontal? ie, is the shock mounted in a way that the air seal lubrication is resting down near the air valve so when you depress the air valve you get a mess??
    If this is the case and you are tired of the mess, you could put grease in the positive air chamber and put a little float fluid in the negative chamber. But not too much in the negative chamber because it could transfer across the detent port on the air sleeve and end up back in the positive chamber.

hope that makes sense?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes and thank you. I think it was float fluid, and since it is a Cannondale Rush, with the Fox shock mounted upside down, that makes sense. BUT, when I first got the thing, I didn't have a "mess" airing up the shock. There might have been a little spit, but that's it. Now, it gushes fluid and I've lost so much the thing feels like it sticks and bobs like hell. Makes sense, if I am losing float fluid.

Goes to show I think I won't opt for a LBS rebuild in the future. I'll just have them send it In-House. I'm not one for rebuilding shocks at the moment. Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    well, your LBS could have just put a bit too much fluid in. and to be honest, the factory might put a bit too little in. another thing to consider, when the shock is heated up a bit from riding and/or the outside temp is on the warmer side, the fluid will be more viscous and more likely to spray out as it is puddled at the bottom of the eyelet.
    stoked i could help.