mtbr member

Floor pump as a shock pump?

I have a dual valve floor pump with a pressure gauge that goes up to 160 psi. Will this work?
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

FKA Malibu412
    nope
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Buy a serfas mp2n1 if you want Both a tire and shock pump in one

moaaar shimz
    You need high pressure pumps. If you try to use the floor pump you're gonna have a really really hard time trying to reach 160 psi.

mtbr member
    If you already have it, you could try... I think its going to flow too much to accurately set anything though.

mtbr member
    You need high pressure and LOW volume. A floor pump has high volume. Spend the 35 bucks for a dedicated fork pump. Easy to fine tune your ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Using a floor pump isn't going to break anything, but it's simply not designed for the level of control you want when pumping a shock:

- It doesn't have a zero-loss chuck, so you're going to lose pressure when you remove it, and won't know exactly how much pressure you really have in your shock.
    - With a shock pump it's easy to add 1 or 2 psi, with a floor pump it's extremely hard to have that level of control.
    - A shock pump comes withe a bleed valve, so you can reduce pressure in fine increments.
    - A mountain bike floor pump will have a hard time reaching the pressures most rear shocks use.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are there any shock pumps in particular that are highly recommended ... at a reasonable price as well?

Purulento
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    - With a shock pump it's easy to add 1 or 2 psi....
    Which models are able to do this? The minor division on my pump scale is 10psi with no ticks in between...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My pumps have always had 5 psi ticks, so it was pretty easy to do. You can pump it juuuuust enough to nudge the needle upward.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For me personally this is the best option I found. You can pump both Tires and your air shocks and fine adjust the PSI with the red pressure release button. I think tis rated to 300psi. You can mount it on your bike or just stick it in your pack. I picked it up on ebay for like $44. Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floor pump as a shock pump?-serfas.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Purulento View Post
    Which models are able to do this? The minor division on my pump scale is 10psi with no ticks in between...
    mine is that way, too. generally, the way it works is that the in-between zones have a little bit of uncertainty. this is how pretty much any analog measuring device works. you read the major tick marks, and then between the ticks, you estimate. slightly across the line, read 1 to 3 psi. right in the middle, of the range, 4-6psi, almost at the next tick, read 7-9 psi. the number you estimate is the uncertain one, and its accuracy depends on how well you can estimate, but will not be off by more than a few psi, especially if there's a decent amount of space between those tick marks.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    mine is that way, too. generally, the way it works is that the in-between zones have a little bit of uncertainty. this is how pretty much any analog measuring device works. you read the major tick marks, and then between the ticks, you estimate. slightly across the line, read 1 to 3 psi. right in the middle, of the range, 4-6psi, almost at the next tick, read 7-9 psi. the number you estimate is the uncertain one, and its accuracy depends on how well you can estimate, but will not be off by more than a few psi, especially if there's a decent amount of space between those tick marks.
    You mean I don't have to choose between 70 psi and 80 psi for my fork?!?!?

I can actually get 75?

You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.