Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Floor pump as a shock pump?

17K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Uncle Six Pack 
#1 ·
I have a dual valve floor pump with a pressure gauge that goes up to 160 psi. Will this work?

#7 ·
Using a floor pump isn't going to break anything, but it's simply not designed for the level of control you want when pumping a shock:

- It doesn't have a zero-loss chuck, so you're going to lose pressure when you remove it, and won't know exactly how much pressure you really have in your shock.
- With a shock pump it's easy to add 1 or 2 psi, with a floor pump it's extremely hard to have that level of control.
- A shock pump comes withe a bleed valve, so you can reduce pressure in fine increments.
- A mountain bike floor pump will have a hard time reaching the pressures most rear shocks use.

#11 ·
For me personally this is the best option I found. You can pump both Tires and your air shocks and fine adjust the PSI with the red pressure release button. I think tis rated to 300psi. You can mount it on your bike or just stick it in your pack. I picked it up on ebay for like $44. Hope that helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.