mtbr member

Float RC was stuck...now fixed. Thanks

So my buddy took the 2000 Jekyll 900sx we built up out for it's maiden voyage. He called me from the trail and said the thing felt like a hard tail and the rear end barely had any travel. Fearing the old Float RC had blown up, I had him bring it by so I could take a look at it. After 5 minutes of searching this forum, I found a few posts about shocks being "stuck down" due to the air pressure in the shock equalizing past the seal in the air chamber. Upon reading further, I saw some people had carefully taken them apart with good results. Figuring we'd rather attempt a fix before spending $ on it, we made up a padded cardboard box to disassemble the shock in, and used a "rubber band" oil filter wrench to turn the shock body (wearing gloves and safety glasses). 5 minutes later there was a loud POP and the shock was apart. A visual inspection of the seals didn't turn up anything obviously broken. We wiped down all the parts and reassembled after coating everything in 10wt shock fluid. Several rides on it so far and it's holding air and not getting stuck down. Just wanted to share the success story and say thanks for the forum for the info.

moaaar shimz
    Ha.

A guy sent me an email yesterday saying his Float RC was leaking air, and sent me a picture of a bike that looks exactly like yours.

Funny thing.

mtbr member
    Hahaha...maybe they're making a comeback. There's something about this bike I like...even better than my slightly newer FSR with more travel...I'm just glad we were able to rehab the shock, hopefully it lasts. The bike was a Craigslist buy, neglected but still had OEM tires and discs with no wear, believe it was an REI rental. Hopefully really low miles means the shock has fair amount of life left in it.

mtbr member
    I had a simiar bike, my shock did the same thing. I ended up replacing the air sleeve seals (was cheap) for good measure, It never happened again...good job!