mtbr member
    May 2004

Float 150, need small bump compliance suggestions

Hi

I have a 2012 Fox Float 150, tapered steerer w/ 15QR. The fork has been broken in and performs REALLY well on the big fast stuff. I had an amazing run down the Luge in OC yesterday. The one area that I haven't sorted out yet is small bump compliance. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to offer suggestions? When travelling at moderate speeds the fork barely seems to move over the small chatter bumps. This isn't the end of the world or anything, but it would be nice if I could get a bit better performance here.

The fork is totally stock, and I have followed the standard procedures for sag, rebound and compression with adjustments to customize for me and my bike.

Bike: 2011 Turner 5 Spot, standard RP23 in the back.
    Me: About 200lbs + gear.

Thanks, Derek

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Check your bath oil levels. No or little oil equals harsh fork.

mtbr member
    What model Float?
    Is it the RLC with low speed compression adjustment?
    What are your settings -sag, psi, rebound,compression etc?
    When was the fork last serviced?
    Are you getting full travel?
    A common problem with some Floats is oil migration from the leg bath to the air chamber. If your fork is suffering this, that could be part of your problem. It is easy to check for this-let the air out of the fork. Take a big crescent wrench or socket and remove the top cap of the air chamber. Dump out the oil that is on top of the air seal. If you have a lot pour out(more than 5ml or so), you have likely found the problem. Put 5ml back in and see if that improves performance, but don't ride it like this for too long. Get the fork serviced and get the scraper seal replaced and get the oil volumes at the correct levels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Service it. After 30 hours they are rubbish, just like Fox promise. Oil on the foam rings just under the wiper/seals is important. The oil migration from the outers into the air spring chamber is a known problem and needs to be checked also.

Search the forum if you are in any doubt. This is one of the most understood forks in circulation, meaning there is lots of info on its capabilities and limitations.

mtbr member
    May 2004

hmmm, service already?

Well the fork has something between 30 and 50 hours on it. Is it really time to replace seals and stuff like that? Or do I just need to check the oil levels and clean it up?

Hopefully its nothing I have to send the fork in for. Are there any good links you guys have to pages which give details on this servicing process? Hopefully the fork uses the same oil that I already have from my old Talas.

Thanks, Derek

mtbr member
    You still haven't told us what model of Float you have.
    We don't know if you have stock low speed compression adjustments.
    You are due for fluid change at least. Do that and lube the dust/oil seals and wiper rings.
    FOX has tuning and service instructions buried in their website.

mtbr member
    May 2004

2012 Float 150 Fit RLC

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    You still haven't told us what model of Float you have.
    We don't know if you have stock low speed compression adjustments.
    You are due for fluid change at least. Do that and lube the dust/oil seals and wiper rings.
    FOX has tuning and service instructions buried in their website.
    I've looked all over Fox's site and can't find any details on servicing. I found something about the oil levels, but no disassembly instructions or lists of which seals, wipers, rings etc might need replacing. If its there Fox isn't exactly making it easy to find the servicing details.

Derek

mtbr member
    FLOAT RL

The link above works for basic service on all Float models-basic service meaning fluid and seal change.

You don't need to pull the damper(right side top cap) as shown in the pics. For basic service you can leave the dampers in the leg.

All the 32 service kits are the same as far as wipers. seals, etc.

How many clicks of low speed compression are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    Service it. After 30 hours they are rubbish, just like Fox promise. Oil on the foam rings just under the wiper/seals is important. The oil migration from the outers into the air spring chamber is a known problem and needs to be checked also.

Search the forum if you are in any doubt. This is one of the most understood forks in circulation, meaning there is lots of info on its capabilities and limitations.
    What he said. Not adhering to that schedule will lead to rapid stanchion wear. If it is a FIT fork, it is really easy to just drop the lowers, wipe it clean and add the bath oil and put it back together again. With my Fox fork, I got pretty good at lifting up the seals and getting a good look at the foam ring. If it looked dry in any way, I would change the oil.

I also am a big fan of enduro seals as they just seemed to work better than the stock Fox seals (the older type).
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 12-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.