mtbr member
    Apr 2010

figuring out sag - Rockshox Ario 2.2

How much stroke does the RockShox Ario 2.2 have?

I'm trying to figure out a starting point / sag.

What?
    it can be a bunch of different sizes. What bike do you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    BMC Fourstroke 03 (2008) - size 15"

I completely let all of the air out and bottomed out the shock (or at least I think it was bottomed out) and measured to where the rubber ring was at and came up with 1 13/16" (1.8125").

So I used that as my full stroke number.

1.8125" * 0.20 (percent sag) = 0.36"

I added about 75 PSI and the sag came out to 3/8" so I think I'm pretty close.

Now I want to set the rebound by using the curb test given in the Rockshox manual. It says to ride off of a curb, staying seated, and count the number of bounces until the suspension is back at rest. Goal should be one bounce.

but....its raining out so I can't do that.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbospartan
    BMC Fourstroke 03 (2008) - size 15"

I completely let all of the air out and bottomed out the shock (or at least I think it was bottomed out) and measured to where the rubber ring was at and came up with 1 13/16" (1.8125").

So I used that as my full stroke number.

1.8125" * 0.20 (percent sag) = 0.36"

I added about 75 PSI and the sag came out to 3/8" so I think I'm pretty close.

Now I want to set the rebound by using the curb test given in the Rockshox manual. It says to ride off of a curb, staying seated, and count the number of bounces until the suspension is back at rest. Goal should be one bounce.

but....its raining out so I can't do that.

Sounds like a good starting point. There is a rubber bumper in the shock to keep it from bottoming harshly so with the air out or the shock, you would still need to push down on the rear or the bike to get it to move the last little bit. Don't set your shock on sag only, ride it and adjust it to fit your riding style.

usually cranky
    your sag sounds good, but i tried to do that rebound test and it didnt work for me at all. maybe i used too big of a curb. anyways i figured im a lightweight and set my rebound about middle, a little towards the fast side. feels pretty good but it depends on your suspension design alot too.