mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fender for tapered headtube 1.5"?

For those of you running a fork with the larger 1.5" headtube, or a fork that tapers out to 1.5" at the bottom, what are you doing for a front fender? My fender doesn't have an adapter even close to filling up the hole, and the local LBS's weren't any help. I've found some custom approaches by searching around, but nothing made for these forks. Anyone found anything sold out there. These forks are becoming more common, so I'm hoping someone's come across one. Thanks!

ronniering guy
    Apr 2005
    Most headlocks have a threaded hole in the bottom i would think you could come up with a way to attach you fender using it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what is a headlock?

I have the same problem. SKS is sending an adapter for my tapered HT but I need to right something for the interim.

mtbr member
    I've got one of these since there's no hole at the base of my crown at all . It doesn't have as much coverage as the other fenders. It's primarily made for keeping stuff out of your face and off the stanchions. Light, elegant design, and cheap. Enough clearance for a 2.35" tire.

Bender Fender 2.1
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    I use a SKS shockboard form both my Marin MTB bikes..and I like them alot..and the are pretty inexpensive.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Solved with a 3 Buildbase sink plunger (medium size) which I had lying around.

With the plunger head removed (unscrewed) from the handle, cut away the large dome rubber bit just leaving the section which was screwed around the plunger handle, this is the bit you need (OD1.5" x approx. 1" long). The rubber plunger taper is a perfect (and I mean precise) push fit inside the 1.5" steerer head the taper matches 1:1 but is not not so tight that you can't pull back out if need be. The compliance of the threaded inner diameter of the rubber provides great grip with a normal medium sized expander that typically comes with a front mudguard. When tightened the whole thing is rock solid - better than the original.

I'm going to buy a few spares as it's an ideal solution - Thanks Buildbase
    Last edited by akyaky1; 12-31-2012 at 10:44 AM.

www.derbyrims.com
    1.5" star-nut and stem-cap bolt.