mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Fatty D Maintenance & BB?

I bought an F2000 today and it came with a Fatty D. The bike was probably left out in the rain or wasn't properly maintained as there is some rust at the bottom of the steertube and the bearings feel like there are some flat spots in there (don't know if there is, it just feels that way) so I want to disassemble the fork and replace the bearings if necessary.

Is there any overhaul write-up on the Fatty D? I found one on the Fatty M, but it is different.

Also, I took out the BB (UN-91), but when I pulled out the left side cap, the whole BB came out the non-drive side and the right hand cap stayed in the bike.

I read that the right hand cap is pressed onto the BB housing, but since mine came off can I still use it, or is it cooked? The BB spins nice with no sticking or excess lateral movement.

Thanks,
    Ian

Former Bike Wrench
    The bearing service will be the same on the Fatty D and Fatty M.
    Cannondale Super Fatty M Headshok Suspension Fork Service/Overhaul Instructions Headshock

The UN-91 is threaded on both side, but the drive side is reverse threads. It would be best to remove both cups and grease or anti-sieze the threads along with greasing the inside of the cups. A UN-91 will probably last forever otherwise...they are worth their weight in gold!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The bearing service will be the same on the Fatty D and Fatty M.
    Cannondale Super Fatty M Headshok Suspension Fork Service/Overhaul Instructions Headshock
    Yes, but getting to the bearings I think is different. This is where I am having a bit of difficulty.

So it doesn't matter that the end cap came off the drive side?

Thank You,
    Ian

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm trying to find the exact model of Fatty D I have. The bike is a 1998 F2000 that Bikepedia said came with a HeadShok Fatty SL, but mine is a Fatty D (same color as the frame), so I presume it is either a Canadian model or it was changed.

My Fatty D is not disc compatible, has an air/oil damper and has 5 position damping.

On vintagecannondale.com the 1997 Fatty 70 has 5 position damping, air/oil damper and is not disc compatible.
    The 1998 Fatty D has a coil/oil damper and is not disc compatible and only has on/off lockout.
    The 1999 Super Fatty D has an air/oil damper (like mine) but is disc compatible (mine is not) and also only has on/off lockout.

The number in the back of one of the legs is '2947 15 7FAT'

Thanks,
    Ian

Fatty D Maintenance & BB?-fatty-d.jpg