mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fancy Thumb Tool for Cane Creek DBCoil and DBAir Dampers

The Fancy Thumb Tool for DBCoil and DBAir dampers is now On Sale!

Many thanks are due to the Cane Creek crew, who have graciously provided the oppertunity to present this unique 3D printed tool!

This 3D Printed tool is made of nylon which is lightweight, strong, and wont mar the anodized surfaces on your beautifully designed DB. The tactile response on the 6mm dials is very good, and the wings provide enough torque for the stiffer 10mm dials

This tool is made possible through the wonders of 3d printing, via Shapeways.com.  The cost is very low and quality is very high.

Now that the tool is finished, and fully functional, I've made it available through Shapeways.com

Buy it here:
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/798013/cane-creek-dbcoil-dbair-knurled-thumb-tool.html

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Below are the original/out-dated renderings that caught everyone's attention in the original Cane Creek 'Lounge' post

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Cane Creek Thumb Tool

Here's the legal jazz. This is not a Cane Creek product. There is no warranty or guarantee, implied or otherwise. Enjoy at your own risk.

No known cure
    Nice. Could you please make a protective shock body sleeve, as light springs deflect and scuff the shock body.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Nice. Could you please make a protective shock body sleeve, as light springs deflect and scuff the shock body.
    Go to your local electronics store and buy large heat shrink tube - works great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    With accurate dimensions, this could easily be done.

You looking to protect the reservoir, or the main shaft?

I dont own the DBcoil, just the DBAir so cant measure the shaft surrounded by the coil spring myself....would need dimensions to move forward...

Heat shrink is not a bad idea either, if only slightly less elegant.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    So i this tool injection molded or just produced via SLA? I've done a lot of SLA models for prototypes but never found the resins to be strong enough for a production quality part. What resin is this tool made out of?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    its laser sintered Nylon. In my experience its quite strong, and is more than adequate for the purposes of this tool

The material is somewhat flexible and is not brittle at all like some SLA prints can be. Shapeways advertises that this material is suitable for living hinges which means its very tough and not likely to crack or fracture even after repeated bending..

Unlike some SLA setups where theyre using a photo-sensitive resin bath and hardening each layer with laser light, Shapeways process uses nylon powder that is heat-fused (sintered) with a laser, layer by layer, at something like 0.1mm per layer.

check this video Shapeways White, Strong & Flexible 3D Printing - YouTube

Lord of the Chainrings
    Cool! Reminds me of an electrical "wire nut".
    Where can I order a stainless steel version?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slackard View Post

The Fancy Thumb Tool for DBCoil and DBAir dampers is now On Sale!

Here's the legal jazz. This is not a Cane Creek product. There is no warranty or guarantee, implied or otherwise. Enjoy at your own risk.

hey are you by chance the person producing these? I got mine today and it snapped (edit - the socket for the big knob cracked )on pretty much the first turn. Needless to say Im not very impressed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    hey are you by chance the person producing these? I got mine today and it snapped (edit - the socket for the big knob cracked )on pretty much the first turn. Needless to say Im not very impressed
    Shapeways is a 3d printing service, they just print designs which you or others have created. No-one is really 'producing' them.
    If you're not happy with the design you can always upload your own. Should be pretty easy to knock up a simpler version with thicker walls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK well I wasn't sure how it worked. I guess the suggestion to the designer is to make it thicker as I don't think the current design is strong enough