The Tyranical Teabagger

Extracting a stripped hub bolt out of a Lefty...

So, I somehow managed to strip the axle bolt in my Lefty. I'm using one of Project 321's hub cap and bolts and I don't know if it's softer than the stock or what but I seemingly stripped this thing fairly easily. Like, badly.

I've read all sorts of tricks and one that stands out is using a torx bit to work it out (which I have not tried). Before I attempt this I want to be prepared with the right tools. Wondering what kind of extractor I might want to use? I see several options on Amazon...I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah those project 321 bolts are too soft. I had this same problem. I ended up using a vise grips. Chewed the thing up big time. Luckily a found a replacement bolt locally I was off to Tucson the following day.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    How did you do it with vice grips? I was trying (albeit, not very hard) to turn the cap with some spanners first. That got me nowhere...I think because it is fairly soft I may be able to hammer in a large size hex or torx...problem is, I don't have a large torx driver. I honestly haven't bothered with it because I don't want to not be able to ride my single speed and it's in there just fine. I'm about to go on a road trip in 2 weeks and need to mount that to my rack so now it's urgent. Of course.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok, i just took delivery of my project 321 lefty hub and stripped the bolt just tightening it with the short end of the allen wrench. As I noticed this, i put on a torque wrench. 30 to 40 inch lbs (the bolt says to torque to 95 inch lbs) and it fully stripped. Very disappointing. I would not recommend this hub after this experience.