mtbr member
    May 2012

Expected life of a rear shock - IN years

been looking at some vintage bikes, but I was concerned about the old and un-upgraded shocks. Figured someone would have an idea about the expected life of a shock. Seems like the seals and gaskets would have a time frame of X amount of years, no?
    Last edited by rockymtbiker; 07-27-2014 at 09:25 AM.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Cane Creek AD5, 10 & 12 shocks are easy to service. The GF Sugar was a great frame back in 2000 but it's terribly dated by todays standards.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So, would these OR any shocks of that era still be able to operate without a rebuild OR a servicing considering there age.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Cane Creek AD5, 10 & 12 shocks are easy to service. The GF Sugar was a great frame back in 2000 but it's terribly dated by todays standards.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Someone has to have an idea about this

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I really depends on the usage. I rode my Sugar for 4 years without touching the shock. The good thing is if the Sugar comes with a CC AD shock they still sell rebuild kits for them. It consists of a few O-Rings and a couple of Quad seals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I really depends on the usage. I rode my Sugar for 4 years without touching the shock. The good thing is if the Sugar comes with a CC AD shock they still sell rebuild kits for them. It consists of a few O-Rings and a couple of Quad seals.
    I still have my 2001 Sugar3 with the original Cane Creek rear shock, 13 years of riding and it's still going strong. My new EX8 is the only reason I don't ride it anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    One of the bikes I looked at was from the late 90s, can't remember the rear shock, but the bike looked like it was bought, rode twice & then stuck in the basement! Usage wasn't an issue at all.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    that helps. It is likely a gamble, either way I guess. But, nice to know you used the bike a lot and the shock is still going strong after all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertran View Post
    I still have my 2001 Sugar3 with the original Cane Creek rear shock, 13 years of riding and it's still going strong. My new EX8 is the only reason I don't ride it anymore.

mtbr member
    The shock on my main bike is at least 10 years old (coil vanilla RC). About four years ago I stripped it, revalved it and that's been all the internal maintenance.

It's had enough use to wear out and break a coil spring.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve