I just let one RIP

Good job! Excellent Manitou/Hayes customer service

A few weeks ago I was out on a ride when my Minute 29er decided to sink halfway into its travel and stick there, no motion up or down. I could pull it up, but it would just sink right down to that mid point and stay. Air pressure was fine and holding.

So I make a call to Manitou (now owned by Hayes). They tell me the little spring under the Mars Air spring must have broken. So they sent me out a new spring. For Free. On a 3.5 year old fork. I was willing to pay for it. I guess they figured they would just make a happy customer since it was probably only a $5 part.

Anyway, got the spring, which came with a new pushrod. Got it all installed and the fork seemed to work fine. Except. Except that when the fork was extended I could grab the crown with one hand and the wheel with the other and pull (even very gently), and the fork would then extend another 5 millimeters or so. That's kinda odd, so I called Manitou back up.

They ask me if I installed the new pushrod or used my original one. The new one, of course. Well, they might have sent the wrong spring kit - the spring is the same, but the pushrods are apparently different lengths depending on the travel of the fork (mine is 120mm). So they offered to either send me another pushrod or I could send the fork in to them to do the work. For Free.

Since it was kind of a pain to install it the first time, I opted to send the fork in for the service. A few days after mailing it off, they called the shop and told them they were going to go ahead and replace not only the part that was needed, but some of the other internals AND the uppers/steerer tube assembly! Apparently my generation fork had had issues with steerer/uppers assemblies creaking, though I never had that issue with mine.

So I got my fork back, just installed it, and seems good as new. About the only part original to the fork are the lowers (and they're not actually original - I replaced them a year or so ago to switch from QR to TA). So practically a new fork.

Manitou went way above and beyond with customer service/warranty on my fork. Their stated warranty is 1 year, but they took care of my 3.5 year old fork.

Thanks Manitou!
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That is good to hear, as I am looking to replace my Dart III with either the Manitou Tower Pro or Expert.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice. The guys who handle calls for product info and service questions seem really knowledgeable and spent a good amount of time answering my shock questions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, I got the same outstanding level of service when I called the other day about my Dorado. The tech could not possibly have been more helpful and friendly.

mtbr member
    had excellent service after not being able to get ahold of them, mine was for a brake issue but they pulled through in the end and went above and beyond. thanks hayes
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had excelent experience with Manitou aswell, on a Minute Expert fork.