mtbr member
    Apr 2012

entry level Shock upgrade

So I bought a motobecane a little while back and Im debating upgrading the fr
    ont shock already. At the time I spent the money that I had available and the bike has been awesome. I just think it would be more awesome with a better fork now. Its from bikes direct and has a crappy SR Suntour SF12-XCT-V4-DS-26-100mm, I know I know, but its what I could get at the time..So I was looking at the other more expensive bikes (expensive to me) to see what shocks they come with and keep seeing reba rockshox etc..So I found this

ROCK SHOX ROCKSHOX DART 3 Mtb Suspension Fork 100mm Silver Mountain Bike: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Would that be a decent upgrade or no? right now the only real issue I have is it bottoms out alot and is obviously a little mushy. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes...compared to the throw away Suntour fork, it's a better fork and a step up, but it's still an entry level fork and considered to be pretty far down on the totem pole of fork performance.

There are better deals out there on that model...under $100, but since your goal is to improve the performance of your fork, and your bike overall, consider that the money spent on it might be spent on a better fork that would make more of a difference to your ride quality. I would look at a higher end fork and find a better deal on a better fork.

Some good deals should be coming up as the model year changes over.

banned
    Jan 2012
    I have an Dart, The lock out is POS, but its a good fork, too bad its not so plush, the other fork [a crap winwood/nishiki carbon fork with no damping at all] was very plush.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I haven't looked in awhile but I'm pretty sure you could find a deal on a good 100mm fork for about 300.00, give or take.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the XCT V4, and it's not that bad.. I mean a little springy, but I don't mind it.