Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit

166K views 793 replies 213 participants last post by  Chris2fur 
#1 ·
Just thought you might like to see this. This is a conversion kit to replace your stock DU and reducers on your shock. Reduces the drag by like a TON....!!!!!
I just installed it on my 5 Spot, have not ridden it yet in the dirt, (hopefully this weekend), but by the feel in the garage it should run real smoothly.
If you have ever replaced your DU before, this is not much different, quite simple to install and takes a few minutes to do so. The tools they sell are real slick looking for removing the old DU and installing the new goodies.
I hope to ride it this weekend and see how it does.

There is plenty of info on the Enduro fork seals web site if you want to look into it further.
I think the web site is http://enduroforkseals.com

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
assaf_angel said:
Sure, a perfunctory look by an untrained eye might think that's the same thing, but it is not the same thing at all. It comes with seals but no spacers. The seals, when placed two on each side of the bearing do not actually cover all of the inner ring (the "axle" of the bearing). In other words they do not seal the bearing. Our seals are captured by the aluminum spacers which results in a perfect coverage and sealing of the inner ring. In addition, our kit fits 6 or 8 mm hardware since it comes with the reducing sleeves. Not to mention our kit includes all the parts for both shock eyes. The one referenced above is for one end of the shock. Turns out our kit has over twice the parts at a much lower price (you have to double the $24.00 of the other kit and you still won't have the necessary spacers and the additional reducing sleeves).

#7 ·
sory

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chris2fur said:
Sure, a perfunctory look by an untrained eye might think that's the same thing, but it is not the same thing at all. It comes with seals but no spacers. The seals, when placed two on each side of the bearing do not actually cover all of the inner ring (the "axle" of the bearing). In other words they do not seal the bearing. Our seals are captured by the aluminum spacers which results in a perfect coverage and sealing of the inner ring. In addition, our kit fits 6 or 8 mm hardware since it comes with the reducing sleeves. Not to mention our kit includes all the parts for both shock eyes. The one referenced above is for one end of the shock. Turns out our kit has over twice the parts at a much lower price (you have to double the $24.00 of the other kit and you still won't have the necessary spacers and the additional reducing sleeves).
dident dig it too much

is your kit will fit 3/8 axel like on the nomad?

#9 ·
assaf_angel said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dident dig it too much

is your kit will fit 3/8 axel like on the nomad?
No problem. Details really matter in this case, though. The 2010 Nomad 2 bikes are perfect match. Not sure on the earlier models, but if you have an actual 3/8" shaft or bolt going through the shock eye, that would be too large of diameter to fit through the inner ring (axle) of the needle bearing assembly.

#10 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
Great product. Can't wait to try it. Do you know if the kit comes with "custom spacer" for both upper and lower eyelet once you determine what length you need? Or does it has to be ordered seperately at additional cost?
The currently available kit was designed to fit the widest variety of frames. We provided the custom spacer guide to allow customers with frames that to not match up to have adapters machined to fit their needs locally. Obviously, our intent is to provide all of the necessary spacers in the future, but this will take some time. What frame and model year are you interested in?

#785 ·
New Manitou shocks may fit the needle bearings.

Apparently, Manitou has capitulated and moved from 12mm to the industry standard imperial half-inch (12.7mm) eye. Newer Manitou shocks (e.g. Radium and McLeod) apparently feature this size eye, so theoretically could be made to work with the needle bearings. (Chris2Fur might be able to confirm).

#14 ·
cdalemaniac said:
So, this is only for Fox shocks then?
I'd love to try one on my prophet which has a manitou swinger rear shock though....
Fox, Marzocchi, Romic, 5th Element Coils, Avalanche and I guess the RS Vivid have 1/2" eyelets and can use the Enduro kit.

Some RS earlier models (10mm?), Manitous (12mm), 5th Air (3/8" spherical bearings), Cane Creek and DT Swiss use different hardware.

#15 · (Edited)
Chris2fur said:
The currently available kit was designed to fit the widest variety of frames. We provided the custom spacer guide to allow customers with frames that to not match up to have adapters machined to fit their needs locally. Obviously, our intent is to provide all of the necessary spacers in the future, but this will take some time. What frame and model year are you interested in?
Chris2fur,
I have an '09 Intense Tracer. Upper width is 24.4mm x 6 mm bolt, lower is 41mm x 6mm bolt. Upper spacers would need to be 1.28mm each and the lower spacers would need to be 9.58mm each by my math. Can you do these dimensions? If so, I'll be calling Monday!

Jim

#17 ·
Me too...

I have an e-mail into Enduro. I hope to have an answer on Monday as well.:thumbsup: My bike is an '05 Giant Reign with a Roco Air Shock (0.5" eye). At least I know why my bike was not even listed, it came with a Manitou rear shock.

#18 ·
Are there any cautions on suspension types or specific bikes that are NOT suited for this kind of setup? Or can they be universally used (as long as they fit per the sizing info of 1/2" eyelets, 6 or 8mm bolts and 21.84/85 mm width)? How are they in handling axial loads (think that's the right term)? I have been eyeing these but not sure how well they'd work on my bikes that could fit them. Sure wouldn't mind eliminating du bushings and aluminum hats I'm using now...

#19 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Are there any cautions on suspension types or specific bikes that are NOT suited for this kind of setup? Or can they be universally used (as long as they fit per the sizing info of 1/2" eyelets, 6 or 8mm bolts and 21.84/85 mm width)? How are they in handling axial loads (think that's the right term)? I have been eyeing these but not sure how well they'd work on my bikes that could fit them. Sure wouldn't mind eliminating du bushings and aluminum hats I'm using now...
They will be best on designs which need no or minimal spacers either side. Some bikes, like my wife's intense, have about a 68mm long pin through the shock eye. This length causes a high bending load on the pin which isn't well resisted by mutiple piece sleeve. This situation is where the normal fox type top-hat reducers perform particularly poorly. To get decent bushing life requires a continuous half inch diameter (stainless) steel pin.

But for the bikes out there which use sane-length shock pins (all but a few), this will be a great upgrade.
I hope Chris can keep up with demand.:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Chris2fur said:
Turner 5 spot prototype?
Yes, basically a Turner RFX built with the geometry and tubeset to test the original 5 spot concept of a long travel horst link trailbike. As featured in magazine ads of the day.
When the production 5 spots were ready, DGC passed it along to me. 5 or so years later it's still my bike of choice.
But it runs 6" rockers, it took a few years for suitable forks to arrive on the market.

#23 ·
Dougal said:
Yes, basically a Turner RFX built with the geometry and tubeset to test the original 5 spot concept of a long travel horst link trailbike. As featured in magazine ads of the day.
When the production 5 spots were ready, DGC passed it along to me. 5 or so years later it's still my bike of choice.
But it runs 6" rockers, it took a few years for suitable forks to arrive on the market.
Cool. Definitely a perfect application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.