Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Inner races - how tight should they be?

Hi Chris,

I've got your needle bearing kits installed in the top shock eye on two of my bikes for about 3 months now. When initially installed I selected the + size races as the ++ seemed just a bit too tight and made the bearing feel sticky and a bit rough. With the + size there was a tiny bit of play but this seemed to be the best of the two choices. Today I was taking a look at both bikes and noticed the play was a bit more than I would like so I decided to again try the ++ size and found they actually fit, still very tight, but no longer making the bearing feel rough. I realize its probably a bit of a judgement call, but in general is it better for the bearing longevity to have the inner race a bit tight rather than a bit loose?

The other concern I have, on the bike with the higher mileage on the needle bearing kit (about 300 miles), the bearing was actually a slight bit notchy even before I started playing with the races. I added some lube and got the needles moving freely again, but I'm wondering if this is cause for concern?

Regards,

Karl

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Hi Chris,

I've got your needle bearing kits installed in the top shock eye on two of my bikes for about 3 months now. When initially installed I selected the + size races as the ++ seemed just a bit too tight and made the bearing feel sticky and a bit rough. With the + size there was a tiny bit of play but this seemed to be the best of the two choices. Today I was taking a look at both bikes and noticed the play was a bit more than I would like so I decided to again try the ++ size and found they actually fit, still very tight, but no longer making the bearing feel rough. I realize its probably a bit of a judgement call, but in general is it better for the bearing longevity to have the inner race a bit tight rather than a bit loose?

The other concern I have, on the bike with the higher mileage on the needle bearing kit (about 300 miles), the bearing was actually a slight bit notchy even before I started playing with the races. I added some lube and got the needles moving freely again, but I'm wondering if this is cause for concern?

Regards,

Karl
    Hi, Karl: Since your situation was originally between the two inner ring sizes, probably a bit of grease displacement made the difference. If the larger inner ring fits, I would go with that. As far as having to grease and spin the one bearing, I would not worry about it. As long as no physical wear was evident on the inner ring, no damage was done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Chris,

I have scott voltage fr 2011. According to the shock size chart on your site i should get NBKRWC2185, but based on scott manual the bushing size is 22.2 x 8 mm. So what should i get? Can you help me with this? Thanks.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by akmal_ueb View Post
    Hi Chris,

I have scott voltage fr 2011. According to the shock size chart on your site i should get NBKRWC2185, but based on scott manual the bushing size is 22.2 x 8 mm. So what should i get? Can you help me with this? Thanks.
    When the manufacturer provides a listing, it's usually more reliable than the chart (which is based on a Fox data base). Go with the NBKRWC2220.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, thanks Chris.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello Fellow Mtbr's

I have a Rocky Mountain Slayer 2013 model fitted with the standard Rock Shox Monarch RC3 . Has anybody fitted these bearing kits to one of these ? I searched and couldn't find the answer for this model.

The lower bush system which appears to be half the thickness of the upper bush seems to always loosen off so there ends up with a small amount of play in that area. The owner of IBC { Marty } guy who I purchased the bike from and also a 2013 Slayer rider found that his new one also developed this play here very quickly.

It's not a huge problem , just a little pain in the ass to have to keep re-checking this pivot after every ride. My 2011 Remedy 9 never need this checked in a year of riding. Saying that I didn't ride the Trek half as fast over stuff as the Rocky, It's been a lot quicker bike over the same trails.

Also Chris do you have an agent here in Australia or Hong Kong which I will be taking the Rocky too in a few weeks.

Regards

Adam

mtbr member
    Chris, I've got a tallboy LTc and was wondering if I also need to order any shims to fit both top and bottom shock mounts? Appreciate any assistance as I haven't found anything by searching.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon w/Monarch RT3

Chris:

Please advise which kit(s) is needed for a Monarch RT3 on a 2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon, and the quantity of spacers, if any, that would be needed.

I suspect that I will only need one NB kit for the upper rocker mount, but I defer to your judgement.

Thanks!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    Chris:

Please advise which kit(s) is needed for a Monarch RT3 on a 2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon, and the quantity of spacers, if any, that would be needed.

I suspect that I will only need one NB kit for the upper rocker mount, but I defer to your judgement.

Thanks!
    Yes, you are correct about just changing the upper rocker mount. Kit number NBKRWC4115 is a match--no shims needed.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Chris, I've got a tallboy LTc and was wondering if I also need to order any shims to fit both top and bottom shock mounts? Appreciate any assistance as I haven't found anything by searching.
    Only need to change the swing link end since no rotation happens in the top tube mount end of the shock eyelet. Kit NBKRWC2185 is what you need and no shims are required.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainSlayer7 View Post
    Hello Fellow Mtbr's

I have a Rocky Mountain Slayer 2013 model fitted with the standard Rock Shox Monarch RC3 . Has anybody fitted these bearing kits to one of these ? I searched and couldn't find the answer for this model.

The lower bush system which appears to be half the thickness of the upper bush seems to always loosen off so there ends up with a small amount of play in that area. The owner of IBC { Marty } guy who I purchased the bike from and also a 2013 Slayer rider found that his new one also developed this play here very quickly.

It's not a huge problem , just a little pain in the ass to have to keep re-checking this pivot after every ride. My 2011 Remedy 9 never need this checked in a year of riding. Saying that I didn't ride the Trek half as fast over stuff as the Rocky, It's been a lot quicker bike over the same trails.

Also Chris do you have an agent here in Australia or Hong Kong which I will be taking the Rocky too in a few weeks.

Regards

Adam
    Hi, Adam: I'm not sure our needle bearing kit is solution to this problem. If hardware is loosening up and tightening the hardware gets rid of the play, then something is backing out. If I'm understanding your post correctly, sounds like a need for some Loctite thread locker. Now, if you were to convert the top rocker end to a needle bearing, you would get improved small-bump compliance. Unfortunately, I don't have the measurement for that one. Looks about 30mm, but I would need a measurement between the rocker arms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    Yes, you are correct about just changing the upper rocker mount. Kit number NBKRWC4115 is a match--no shims needed.
    I placed my order today. Thanks for the quick reply!

mtbr member

Re: Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit

Alright, I'm confused. I have the green and blue tools from RWC. Trying to install on DHX Air 5.0. I'm down to the white bushing sleeves that are pressed in as two halves. I don't see how the tools can push them out. They have a lip on them so you can push them through. What am I missing?

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit-uploadfromtaptalk1377742856494.jpg  

mtbr member

Re: Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit

Never mind. I figured it out. Didn't realize I had the new polymer bushing style. Is it still worth swaping them out for the needle bearings?

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    I placed my order today. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Thanks!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Never mind. I figured it out. Didn't realize I had the new polymer bushing style. Is it still worth swaping them out for the needle bearings?
    It's interesting how DU bushings were always "good enough" until we offered the needle bearing kits. Honestly, I think the new Fox system is a significant improvement over the DU bushings. However, that's not saying a lot because the standard OE DU bushing system is so bad. There is still a significant variation in friction between Fox shocks using the new Fox system because the eyelet tolerances vary from shock to shock. We have addressed this by including three different inner ring OD tolerances in our needle bearing kits. Fox is still "one size fits all" so some shocks have noticeably smoother rotation than DU bushings and others are still really tight. Having said all that, even the very best fitting Fox polymer bushing system is still way behind our needle bearing kits in terms of friction loss. Still, I give credit to Fox for acknowledging the need for improvement.

mtbr member
    Chris, any info on the compatibility for the 2013 Norco Sight 3 model?
    If you don't have the measurements handy, I can take them.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    Chris, any info on the compatibility for the 2013 Norco Sight 3 model?
    If you don't have the measurements handy, I can take them.
    Sorry, but we don't have the info on that one. Norco doesn't publish it and we don't have it in our database.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You have a direct link to the Cane Creek eyelet bore service? I'm having trouble navigating your site. Thanks.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You have a direct link to the Cane Creek eyelet bore service? I'm having trouble navigating your site. Thanks.
    Please email directly about that: chris@realworldcycling.com

mtbr member
    I was so satisfied with the RWC needle bearings that I installed on my Trance, I just had to get another set for my 5.Spot..

These needle bearings really rock...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro shock eye needle bearing kit-dsc09662.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hi Chris, i own a 2013 santa cruz Blur TRc, i bought two set of pivot bearing(blur TRC) for replacement last month, but turn out the upper link bearing is correct, only the vpp lower link bearing doesn't fit to mine . can you please check for me which bearing i should order for the VPP link, my bike still wait for a new replacement bearing for run. thank you

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by future9398 View Post
    hi Chris, i own a 2013 santa cruz Blur TRc, i bought two set of pivot bearing(blur TRC) for replacement last month, but turn out the upper link bearing is correct, only the vpp lower link bearing doesn't fit to mine . can you please check for me which bearing i should order for the VPP link, my bike still wait for a new replacement bearing for run. thank you
    OK, sorting this out via email.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for your quick reply. i also sent back my problem via email. thanks

mtbr member

Shock eye needle bearing

Hi Chris at REAL WORLD CYCLING,
    after a few years of frustration and continually changing out the sheared 8mm bolt -and upgrading to harder and harder bolts (e.g. 12.9 alloy)- and cracking the Specialized Hollow Link- I came across this thread. I was so excited to see there is an alternative to the Specialized / Fox stock reducer pin- until I found its out of stock on your site.

I've spent HOURS on the computer learning about the issue and your consistent posts show me you care and are highly competent.

My bike: 2006 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR.

You know all this but I'll post it for any other victims with the same issue:
    Fox makes two replacement parts: Pin style: 803-00-119 , 2 piece top hat style: 803-03-034.
    Their spread sheets: http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...educerSpec.xls (my bike is on line 5081)
    and http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...Specs_2011.xls (mine is line 6255).

It looks like your replacement part is NBKRWC1575.

Please help. Do I have any alternatives (and yes, a newer bike is in my future but I've got to get this working first)?
    ...I just pedal

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast