Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    No, my friend. That frame uses a clevis at the rear shock mount. No rotation takes place within the shock eyelet. The rotation is transferred to the bearings at the other end of the clevis.
    Ah yes, but I'm replacing the DU bushing that went bad on the other end XD... not a whole lot of rotation there either but I wanted to try something different. I was told that measurement was the correct one for the eyelet that bolts up to the top tube... part number NBKRWC2185

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by leiito View Post
    Ah yes, but I'm replacing the DU bushing that went bad on the other end XD... not a whole lot of rotation there either but I wanted to try something different. I was told that measurement was the correct one for the eyelet that bolts up to the top tube... part number NBKRWC2185
    I'm surprised to hear that the DU went bad at the other end. Does that end of the shock pivot near the end of the stroke or something? Anyway, glad you understood about the clevis. We have had people try and buy needle bearings for the clevis end!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is there any hope of my successfully installing the needle bearing without the press tools?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm surprised to hear that the DU went bad at the other end. Does that end of the shock pivot near the end of the stroke or something? Anyway, glad you understood about the clevis. We have had people try and buy needle bearings for the clevis end!
    The bushing Push put in did not fit quite right. It had too much play even with the bolt torqued to spec. They're sending replacements but i figured I'd try these out. The shock does pivot a tiny bit but not a significant amount. I hope the kit i ordered fits lol. Thanks.

otb club member
    The bushing Push put in did not fit quite right. It had too much play even with the bolt torqued to spec. They're sending replacements but i figured I'd try these out. The shock does pivot a tiny bit but not a significant amount. I hope the kit i ordered fits lol. Thanks.
    Let me know if it doesn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Is there any hope of my successfully installing the needle bearing without the press tools?
    Ive successfully done it without their tools, but I also have an Arbor Press

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Ive successfully done it without their tools, but I also have an Arbor Press
    Yes, it can definitely be done. It's just that if misalignment occurs at the wrong time, the cup that holds the needle roller elements can get distorted. The pilot part of the tool keeps that from happening.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, I finally got it installed and rode a while. In case anyone is wondering, the needle bearings really don't make a difference in the Enduro lol. I'm sure it's an excellent product but there really isn't enough pivoting where the shock bolts up to the top tube to notice a difference. Oh well, at least I got rid of that play. Thanks Chris

otb club member
    Well, I finally got it installed and rode a while. In case anyone is wondering, the needle bearings really don't make a difference in the Enduro lol. I'm sure it's an excellent product but there really isn't enough pivoting where the shock bolts up to the top tube to notice a difference. Oh well, at least I got rid of that play. Thanks Chris
    Well at least the play is gone, so that's one positive outcome. We have talked several people out of getting the kits for that frame, but usually the intention was for the back end where the clevis is (which makes even less sense). There was a customer who called us about his local shop trying to sell him a kit for the clevis end. That was pretty fishy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There was a customer who called us about his local shop trying to sell him a kit for the clevis end. That was pretty fishy.
    Some people... Thanks for being honest about it from the start.

mtbr member
    As much as I love my Fox suspension I am totally unimpressed with their DU bushing system and the fact that it has taken them this long to figure out that a bronze dry lube bushing and aluminum reducers aren't the best mates for a pivot joint!
    I just installed my RWC needle bearing setup on my 2010 Trek Fuel EX9 and am completely elated by the smoothness of my suspension now. I went out for a 7 mile night ride in cold & muddy darkness on my familiar trails and just love how my suspension tracks through the rocks, bumps, logs and slick mud.

I do have a question for Chris2fur though. I received the roller bearing inserts marked "++"; "+" & "-" and I understand how to fit them. However the "++" is tight and causes the bearing to index when rolling, the "+" fits nice and the "-" is just too slack. So I installed the "+" and on my ride I still notice a bit of creaking that I heard when my DU bushing was wearing out. Do I need to install the "++" and then expect it to "break-in"? I greased it as recommended & I do have the bolt torqued to Mfgr spec, so I am thinking that the "++" & break-in is the answer....

In any event, I recommend the RWC needle bearings to anyone with a 2012 or earlier DU Bushing setup. I understand Fox has their new 2013 polymer bushing setup but it is on back order with no estimated date of arrival and I've never been a believer in bushing technology anyway,
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hi chris, i love your bearing set, but seems like my Santa cruz TRc can't found in model chart. i like to buy shock needle bearing and pivot suspension Enduro MAX bearing. can you please help me up?btw: i sent a mail to enduro already. regards

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutbert View Post
    ...So I installed the "+" and on my ride I still notice a bit of creaking that I heard when my DU bushing was wearing out. Do I need to install the "++" and then expect it to "break-in"? I greased it as recommended & I do have the bolt torqued to Mfgr spec, so I am thinking that the "++" & break-in is the answer....
    Thanks for the very positive report on the improved performance. As for your question, I think you have the right inner ring already selected. If you can pick up the bike by the seat and feel no play, I would call that good. I don't like the way you described the "indexing" with the "++" inner ring. That sounds a bit on the tight side to me. I'm not sure what to tell you about the creaking you described. That's not a sound normally expected from our needle bearing kits. Even if you had installed the "-" inner ring and had a loose fit, you would feel some play, but I would not expect creaking. I wonder if something else might be producing the sound.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by future9398 View Post
    hi chris, i love your bearing set, but seems like my Santa cruz TRc can't found in model chart. i like to buy shock needle bearing and pivot suspension Enduro MAX bearing. can you please help me up?btw: i sent a mail to enduro already. regards
    We need to add that to the chart! Santa Cruz has been very consistent with shock mounting hardware sizes for the last couple of years. The NBKRWC2185 is the correct kit for the swing link end of the shock. It fits the other end, too, but that end has very little rotation so changing it would be more for cosmetic purposes than any real performance gain.

I'm not sure on the pivot bearings! Don't have that one in our database yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks chris. how about the VPP bearing kit for TRc? do RWC got this part of replacement?

otb club member
    thanks chris. how about the VPP bearing kit for TRc? do RWC got this part of replacement?
    If you have the zerk fitting for greasing the bearings, those bearings should be the 7902-1ZS-MAX. They have a metal shield on one side and are open on the other size. We have them available individually on this page: ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS!

mtbr member

Creaking needle bearings

Thanks for the very positive report on the improved performance. As for your question, I think you have the right inner ring already selected. If you can pick up the bike by the seat and feel no play, I would call that good. I don't like the way you described the "indexing" with the "++" inner ring. That sounds a bit on the tight side to me. I'm not sure what to tell you about the creaking you described. That's not a sound normally expected from our needle bearing kits. Even if you had installed the "-" inner ring and had a loose fit, you would feel some play, but I would not expect creaking. I wonder if something else might be producing the sound.
    Chris, I checked it further today. turns out a little grime inside my seat post/clamp assembly that was causing the creaking. Sorry for that, I thought I had it perfectly clean. Still a happy customer with the needle bearings and my Enduro fork seals!
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutbert View Post
    Chris, I checked it further today. turns out a little grime inside my seat post/clamp assembly that was causing the creaking. Sorry for that, I thought I had it perfectly clean. Still a happy customer with the needle bearings and my Enduro fork seals!
    Ha-ha. Those creaks are hard to track down, but they often end up seatpost/saddle related. Glad all is sorted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks, chris. i got my answer. my friend's Specialized Camber Expert 2012 , also not found in RWC chart . may i ask you what model of needle bearing kit should him buy for his shock?
    regards

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks chris, i got my answer. my friend's Specialized Camber Expert 2012 also found in RWC chart. may i ask you what model of needle bearing kit should he buy for his shock?
    regards

mtbr member
    To anyone in the know regarding replacing the DU with the RWC needle bearing:

I know RWC makes tools for replacing extracting the DU and pressing in the needle bearing, but do most machine shops have the right piloted fitting to press the bearing in, or would they likely be "winging it", albeit with a fancy press??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    To anyone in the know regarding replacing the DU with the RWC needle bearing:

I know RWC makes tools for replacing extracting the DU and pressing in the needle bearing, but do most machine shops have the right piloted fitting to press the bearing in, or would they likely be "winging it", albeit with a fancy press??
    If a machine shop can't sort that out, then they aren't much of a machine shop. All the good ones do far more complicated fitments most days.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

otb club member
    thanks, chris. i got my answer. my friend's Specialized Camber Expert 2012 , also not found in RWC chart . may i ask you what model of needle bearing kit should him buy for his shock?
    regards
    Sorry! Forgot I hadn't answered this... I'm pretty sure you need the NBKRWC1575 for the rear (chainstay) shock mount. 99% sure and am in the process of verifying to eliminate the 1% of doubt.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    If a machine shop can't sort that out, then they aren't much of a machine shop. All the good ones do far more complicated fitments most days.
    Yeah, what he said. Noclutch, definitely save on the tools if they are doing the job for you.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies Chris and Dougal- I don't anticipate doing this often at all, and the LBS's in my (red)neck of the woods probably have never replaced a DU, let alone with a bearing ( they send out air chamber services....), thus I was considering a machine shop.But if their minimum labor charge is too much I guess I be placing another order to Chris.

I found in my garage a 14.86 mm OD socket (a 10mm KTM tool pack hex drive for the motoheads out there) that would be fine? for the DU extraction, but would still need the right tool/fitting or someone else to press in the bearing without goobering it.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast