Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just installed a needle bearing kit into a RockShox Vivid Air R2C, and on my 2010 Giant Reign X.
    Installation was super easy with mtnbiker4life's bushing tools.
    I used the normal inner race, not the oversized one (tried it first.) Fit perfect, super smooth, and no play at all.
    One of the reducers on my DHX Air that was on there was pretty stiff, so this is a nice upgrade!

mtbr member
    I've been running one of these since October last year, there has always been a little play. Just this week the replacement bearings arrived and I had the chance to measure the play with a dial-gauge on the shock body.

The old bearing was showing 0.03-0.04mm which is right on the limit of what can be felt, the new bearing showing ~0.01mm. Right where it should be.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Just fitted a set on a DHX Air 5 on my Scott Ransom and there is absolutely no play at all... even after a week's worth of riding

The difference in ride quality is certainly noticeable, especially in slower technical situations.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur
    Just one or did you do both ends?
    I forgot about this. I need both ends, all parts. Let me know what I owe. Thanks again Chris.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Which kits will fit 07 stumpjumper fsr (with afr shock, no bush, only reducer)?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    I forgot about this. I need both ends, all parts. Let me know what I owe. Thanks again Chris.
    Sorry, you are going to need to email me with details. I can't really pick through the threads to refresh my memory. In fact, unless my memory fails me, I thought you had me ship the parts to a shop already...

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2009 Giant Reign with an Elka rear shock. Which kit should I buy?

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    I have a 2009 Giant Reign with an Elka rear shock. Which kit should I buy?
    NBKRWC2185 for top rocker mount. No conversion necessary (or available) for bottom mount.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiabin172
    Which kits will fit 07 stumpjumper fsr (with afr shock, no bush, only reducer)?
    I'm thinking the AFR shock eyelet bore matches, but the width of the shock body and shaft at the eyelets is narrower. Also, in the OE applications where no DU bushing is run and a full 15mm "axle" is used through the shock eyelet, you are not going to be able to convert to a needle bearing. This is in the rear swing link, right? Does that design rotate poorly?

mtbr member
    Sorry, you are going to need to email me with details. I can't really pick through the threads to refresh my memory. In fact, unless my memory fails me, I thought you had me ship the parts to a shop already...
    Thanks Chris.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Chris, on my GT sensor do I need to change both ends of the shock or only one?If so which one? It uses a fox float RP2

mtbr member
    I just installed the 22.2mm top and bottom on my Banshee Legend and there is play. I'm not super stoked as it took a while to get these and it isn't right. Chris is sending me different inner rings, but the problem was definatley noted on here before I even ordered them and it was apparent that the problem was fixed. We'll see how the new ones are.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    I just installed the 22.2mm top and bottom on my Banshee Legend and there is play. I'm not super stoked as it took a while to get these and it isn't right. Chris is sending me different inner rings, but the problem was definatley noted on here before I even ordered them and it was apparent that the problem was fixed. We'll see how the new ones are.
    If you are not super stoked about us sending new inner rings at our expense (Priority Mail to Canada), please let me know before I ship them. You are welcome to send everything back for a refund if you prefer.

mtbr member
    If you are not super stoked about us sending new inner rings at our expense (Priority Mail to Canada), please let me know before I ship them. You are welcome to send everything back for a refund if you prefer.
    Wow. All I was saying is that the problem with the play was noted before I even ordered these and it was supposed to be fixed and therefore I ordered them. I am happy that you are sending me new inner rings. I didn't mean to upset you at all, I was just dissapointed that the bearings have play when the issue was supposed to have been fixed.
    Thanks for sending me out new inner rings.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Wow. All I was saying is that the problem with the play was noted before I even ordered these and it was supposed to be fixed and therefore I ordered them. I am happy that you are sending me new inner rings. I didn't mean to upset you at all, I was just dissapointed that the bearings have play when the issue was supposed to have been fixed.
    Thanks for sending me out new inner rings.
    Sorry. Just struck me wrong that the overall tone of your post was negative. After walking you through verifying the problem on the phone and offering to send out new oversized inner rings that we just received, I would have expected a more positive response. The new bearings are a perfect fit in 80 percent of the applications. We have just improved the 21.85 and 22.20 kits by adding a level of "adjustability." The kits now shipping have two inner rings: a "+" tolerance inner ring and a "-" tolerance inner ring. The "+" tolerance inner rings are what we offered to send. This adds to the cost of the kits, but between the new bearings and two inner rings, all but the most badly machined shock eyelets will be covered. So basically, we are upgrading your kits at no charge and covering the shipping cost. There is no reason in the world you can't ride your bike with the existing setup. You will not feel any play under riding conditions and it will not only do no harm but will still kill the performance of a DU bushing/reducer setup.

mtbr member
    Sorry. Just struck me wrong that the overall tone of your post was negative. After walking you through verifying the problem on the phone and offering to send out new oversized inner rings that we just received, I would have expected a more positive response. The new bearings are a perfect fit in 80 percent of the applications. We have just improved the 21.85 and 22.20 kits by adding a level of "adjustability." The kits now shipping have two inner rings: a "+" tolerance inner ring and a "-" tolerance inner ring. The "+" tolerance inner rings are what we offered to send. This adds to the cost of the kits, but between the new bearings and two inner rings, all but the most badly machined shock eyelets will be covered. So basically, we are upgrading your kits at no charge and covering the shipping cost. There is no reason in the world you can't ride your bike with the existing setup. You will not feel any play under riding conditions and it will not only do no harm but will still kill the performance of a DU bushing/reducer setup.
    Thanks again for sending them quickly to me. I do appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just installed the kit on my 2011 Fuel EX 8. The DRCV shock only has a lower shock eyelet. It was an increadibly easy and simple procedure. except for pushing out the old bushing, which took an inordinate amount of force - i had to use a pipe to get extra leverage on my vice, but maybe my vice is just crappy. The setup is rock solid, no play or anything at all with everything torqued to spec.

I'm very happy, nothing feels better than knowing my bike is better, stronger (faster even?).

EDIT:
    some tips for those doing same as me
    * its not necessary to remove the cranks, all the lower pivot bolts are accessible from the non drive side.
    * I strongly recommend you loosen the main lower pivot bolt before removal or installation at it puts tension on the lower shock mount, all you need is a 20mm wrench and 10mm socket for this
    * I found it much easier to reinstall the upper shock bolts by installing it at the bottom first and then resting the shock inside the rocker and gently pulling it onto the upper bolts and spacers instead of trying to push it

Last edited by chronic64; 03-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Big thanks to Chris for sending me the new needle bearings for my Ibis HD shock. Great CS on his part and I cannot wait to get them in. Just wanted to say that I got them and thanks for sending the new ones.

mtbr member
    I can't really express how much I appreciate the customer service Chris has shown so far.
    Today I received a package with a new bearing, two different inner ring (plus and minus tolerance) and even two new seals. All this came here after I had already gotten a new bearing once and also a new inner ring some time ago. All this had been shipped to me with international air mail as I'm living abroad at the moment and it came at no extra cost.

The best thing though is that I finally have a needle bearing installed that doesn't show any form of play and is just ultra smooth. I can't comment how it will look in half a year but at least now I now how it should feel and was intended in the first place I really couldn't be happier, thanks alot!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    alright, finally got round to installing the needle bearing i bought last year into the top rocker of my '08 Trek top fuel (have done one service before with DU bushes)

immediate and obvious improvement in plushness. so much so that i might need more air.
    may be partly because
    1) i'm light and run low pressures so any friction is relatively more important.
    2) the old fox top hat was pretty stiff to get out so it may have got worse than when new, without me really realising.

slight criticism of the tool - i don't think it's quite possible to get the needle centred in the eyelet, a very small recess or lip might allow it to go a fraction of a mm further in? mine isn't quite centred, does this matter? also the tool seemed unnecessarily long which made fitting it into my vice difficult (then realized i could remove the jaws. perhaps consider including a suitable long bolt and nuts to do the job? the DU bush tool i bought from someone in the UK included this)

not sure if there's any play yet.. hopefully not, but have the 8mm washers ready in case.

is the current 39.88mm kit actually smaller than the 40mm when i bought it in november?

think i might stick with DU on the lower mount because it'll get more rain and mud there, and little rotation.. anyone with a similar bike noticed much improvement changing both mounts vs just the top?

don't forget to relube the internals of your fox shock when doing this, mine was totally dry on the outer air sleeve seal! (this may also have contibuted to the improvement i got today!)
    Last edited by Smiff; 03-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff
    alright, finally got round to installing the needle bearing i bought last year into the top rocker of my '08 Trek top fuel (have done one service before with DU bushes)

immediate and obvious improvement in plushness. so much so that i might need more air.
    may be partly because
    1) i'm light and run low pressures so any friction is relatively more important.
    2) the old fox top hat was pretty stiff to get out so it may have got worse than when new, without me really realising.

slight criticism of the tool - i don't think it's quite possible to get the needle centred in the eyelet, a very small recess or lip might allow it to go a fraction of a mm further in? mine isn't quite centred, does this matter? also the tool seemed unnecessarily long which made fitting it into my vice difficult (then realized i could remove the jaws. perhaps consider including a suitable long bolt and nuts to do the job? the DU bush tool i bought from someone in the UK included this)

not sure if there's any play yet.. hopefully not, but have the 8mm washers ready in case.

is the current 39.88mm kit actually smaller than the 40mm when i bought it in november?

think i might stick with DU on the lower mount because it'll get more rain and mud there, and little rotation.. anyone with a similar bike noticed much improvement changing both mounts vs just the top?

don't forget to relube the internals of your fox shock when doing this, mine was totally dry on the outer air sleeve seal! (this may also have contibuted to the improvement i got today!)
    Yes, NBKRWC3988 (new number) is the same as NBKRWC40 (old number). We are just getting more specific since some kits are very close in size to each other. If your lower mount is fixed (as opposed to Trek's "Free Floater" ) then you don't need a needle bearing kit at that end. It's beneficial to have both ends converted on the Full Floater models. The latest run of the needle bearing tools (green one) is shorter. However, the DU tool is still the same length due to the need to allow a place for the DU to drop into when it comes out. The tools have a center bore designed to work with the Enduro Hub Bearing Press or with a vise. For those that don't have either, a threaded rod or long bolt with nuts and washers will do the job. We don't include a threaded rod or other hardware because it would just add to the cost and increase the shipping weight when many won't need or use the extra hardware.

mtbr member
    I received the new inner rings yesterday and installed them today. All is good and the play is gone. Thanks again for sending them out so quickly Chris! Such a great improvement over DU bushings.

mtbr member
    I just had my new ones installed and there is also no play here either. I can feel a difference in these as well. I didn't think a bearing here would make that much of a difference, but I may have to up my pressure on the shock now that it's free flowing. Great fix Chris.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On my Intense 5.5 I recently installed a 39.88mm kit with (2) shims on the lower shock mount/pivot. I've been on several rides now, and no play has shown up. I love the solid feel of my shock linkage. I was always fighting the annoying play in the bushings. Hopefully the RWC needle bearing kit has made this a thing of the past for me. I also picked up a 21.85mm kit for the upper shock mount, but have not installed it yet, as this mount has not produced any play in the standard bushings I have in it still. 5 flaming chili's for RWC right now!

richgardiner
    anyone got any experience with the ironhorse kits regarding play?
    thanks

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast