mtbr member

Effects of different fork oil weights on behavior

The fork seals on my Revelation 2012 150 are about done, so I figured to do a complete service. I'm wondering what difference, if any would be noticed by changing from the stock 15wt oil to 10wt oil. Has anyone done this and noticed anything different?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thicker oil will increase the dampning (resistance of oil flow)- slower rebound & more compression. I haven't heard of anyone going thicker on the RS fork's, I tried 2.5wt and returned to 5wt.

**Edit** missed the boat, didn't realize you were reffering to semi-bath oil. I have tried all sorts of brands in both 10wt, 15wt & 5-30wt syn. motor oil. Never noticed any change. I currently run syn. motor oil because it is cheaper than fork oil.
    Last edited by keen; 07-02-2013 at 11:08 PM.

EDR
    Keep in mind that unless comparing the two oils from the same manufacturer, the 'weight' is a poor comparison of viscosity at best. If changing oil viscosity for the purpose of changing damping/rebound characteristics then be sure to compare the cSt @ 40degrees. That's a true measure you can use between all suspension fluids.

This chart is a little out dated but gets the point across.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Yes, I'd be using either the RockShox or Maxima fork oil which is the same thing. Stock recommends 15wt, but I'm thinking I'll try the 10wt.
    "Got everything you need?"

EDR

Re: Effects of different fork oil weights on behavior

RockShox oil used to be made by Torco. But I think you are right in that nowadays it's actually Maxima oil.

Anyways, you seem to know what you're doing. Give the different oil try and if you don't like it you can always swap it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Changing the weight of the bath oil won't make a difference, except it may lubricate less since it will run off the stanchions more quickly. Stick to 15wt for the bath oil.
    If you want to change the damping characteristics of the fork, you need to change the damper oils viscosity. That oil is located in the upper portion of the right stanchion. Stock is 5wt. 2.5wt will speed up both rebound and compression, mainly on the low speed side of things. 7 or 10 weight will slow things down. I prefer lower weight oils in RS forks, as I feel they tend to spike in the chunk.

mtbr member
    Yes, that.

Your lubricating oil should be close to spec. You won't notice much of a difference in performance. The damper oil change would make a difference but you aren't talking about that. Or did you know that?

There's damper oil (5wt) and there's bath/lubricating oil (15wt). And they don't mix.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

aka dan51
    You could replace the 15wt bath oil with Mobil1 synthetic, lots of discussion on these boards about it. I've been using it for several years in my 2010 Rev and Lyrik.
    As others have said, changing the damper oil is where the difference is at. I also prefer to use 2.5wt in my RS forks, it allows them to respond faster making them feel smoother over small chatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".