Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    c'est la vie

DW-Link vs. Giant in Patent Infringement

Interesting, I have not seen this posted yet:

dw-link Incorporated v. Giant Bicycle Inc et. al. patent lawsuit

Recall, DW has a separate lawsuit against Trek over the claimed patent infringement of their ABP. Not sure where that stands now.

Weagle sues Trek over suspension patent | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    "If I should die darling in your arms, what a lovely way to go..." Don Felder -All of You

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    It appears Giant USA just soft-peddled DWlink corp

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Maybe Polaris and Arctic Cat should sue Mr. Weagle. He straight up copied their snowmobile and atv front suspension designs from the '80s and '90s, along with pretty much every other A-arm suspension ever made. Even Specialized might have grounds to sue based on a pivot location in between the main pivot and rear axle.
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 05-04-2013 at 10:39 AM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Maybe Polaris and Arctic Cat should sue Mr. Weagle. He straight up copied their snowmobile and atv front suspension designs from the '80s and '90s, along with pretty much every other A-arm suspension ever made. Even Specialized might have grounds to sue based on a pivot location in between the main pivot and rear axle.
    Snowmobile? Last time I checked my DW-Link bike still has wheels

A-Arm suspension has zero relation to trailing multi-link suspension, other than both are physical applications of suspension. A Lefty fork has a spindle for an axle, but no linkage, so the Lefty fork would be the closest relation in bicycle suspension design to a-arm suspension, both use a spindle axle to mount the wheel.

Specialized holds the Horst-link patent (only in the US, the largest market for full suspension bikes) protecting the location of the chain-stay rear pivot near and below the axle. DW-Link lowest rear pivot is well above the axle. Rocky Mountain's chain-stay rear pivot above axle patent could stretch to claim infringement by the dw-link, but the Rocky patent was filed a few years after dw-link.

The dw-link patent specifically claims protection for having one of the link's pivot alignment crossing between the two pivots of the other link during travel. This is where Giant's patent application for the Maestro design a year after Weagle filed the dw-link patent has not been awarded a US patent, because the Maestro link alignment during travel obviously infringes the prior dw-link patent. Note that the many close copies now of dw-link mini-link do not have intersecting link alignment during travel, some come very close.

There is a controversy whether both Trek and DW filed the same effective concentric axle pivot suspension design before one party was aware of the other design. Soon it will be up to the judgment of evidence presented in court whether anyone at Trek had been disclosed by DW this "split-pivot" design before Trek filed the same suspension leverage design, a design no one had ever applied to bicycle suspension suspension before. The concentric pivot design seems obvious, it sounds like Trek is arguing that the design is not patentable, but then why did they file a patent for this "obvious" concentric pivot design?

Both these cases are modern day David (Weagle) vs. "Goliath" battles. If DW's designs are an indication, then David could be a very precise sling-shooter!
    Last edited by derby; 05-08-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: corrected spelling Weagle, respect Dave for bringing science to mtb suspension

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did you just say that a-arm and trailing arm suspension systems don't have linkages? It doesn't matter if it has wheels or not. It's still a parallel link suspension designed to maintain a particular instant center of rotation. You still have the frame, the parallel links attached to that, and than the fixed axle/ski/whatever connected to that. Very similar in design and function, other than the chain growth variable, which a snowmobile or a-arm suspension doesn't factor in.

The Horst-link has parallel linkages as well, but the lower link is longer. I'm not an expert on patents, or the infringement upon them, but common sense says that things are working differently between a DW-link and Maestro bike. At least as differently as a DW-link and a-arm suspension system. Both systems ride very differently, and don't even look all that much alike in terms of pivots, links, and placements.

Dave wasn't original in his designs. He just found a way around already existing patents by using previously thought of ideas. Smart, but not original in any way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is why Lawyers are loaded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Giant has more money for lawyers than _dw, so they win.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=
    Dave wasn't original in his designs. He just found a way around already existing patents by using previously thought of ideas. Smart, but not original in any way.[/QUOTE]

WHich existing patents/ideas are you referring to ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz View Post
    Read the other posts. It's pretty obvious which designs I'm referring to. Not to mention the old Karpiel designs. I know there are key differences with all of these designs, but that's my point. Giant's Maestro is different from DW-links in key areas, as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Specialized holds the Horst-link patent (only in the US, the largest market for full suspension bikes)...
    Didn't that patent expire last month?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Didn't that patent expire last month?
    Sept 2014 (longer of 17 years from Grant (April '96) or 20 years from Filing (Sept '94)), but their were additional patents that may protect till 2017

mtbr member
    Have a look at an Edge Bikes Blade from circa 2002-2003 and you will see a linkage design that looks very very similar to both Giants Maestro and a DW linkage. Name:  edgefr400-280-75.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  6.2 KB Then tell me that Mr Weagle was entirely original in his design ideas.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    It appears Giant USA just soft-peddled DWlink corp
    The DW link has always reminded me of the old Schwinn Rocket 88:

DW-Link vs. Giant in Patent Infringement-copy.jpg
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Have a look at an Edge Bikes Blade from circa 2002-2003 and you will see a linkage design that looks very very similar to both Giants Maestro and a DW linkage. Name:  edgefr400-280-75.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  6.2 KB Then tell me that Mr Weagle was entirely original in his design ideas.
    I know for a fact that the dw-link goes back at least as far as 2001, so the Edge blade came after.
    I'm not arguing that there are bikes that look similar, but the dw-link has a whole range of
    specifications that make it unique. You can say it's not original because another bike has
    parallel linkages. You woulod show yourself to be pretty clueless if you tried to assert that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You would be pretty clueless if you can't see the resemblance between those designs. So DW used some fancy terms and some references to specific characteristics. That doesn't make it original. I'll give him credit for taking existing designs and fine-tuning them for mountain biking, but to call him an innovator or genius is a bit much. Maestro has a whole range of specifications that make it different from a DW-link. Does it infringe on a specific aspect of DW's patent? I don't know. I don't really care.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm of the opinion that pivot and linkage placement should not be patentable. To me it seems too basic, like patenting a door knob. We don't need this type of patent to drive innovation in the bike industry. All it does is stifle innovation, raise prices and make it harder for entrepreneurs to sell anything without getting sued.

Ironically, David rather than Goliath is doing the suing here. Weagle has done some amazing things and is an all around awesome dude. But I don't think he or anyone else deserves a government granted monopoly on simple pivot and linkage placement. It is morally wrong and economically and technologically stifling.

mtbr member
    I know for a fact that the dw-link goes back at least as far as 2001, so the Edge blade came after.
    I'm not arguing that there are bikes that look similar, but the dw-link has a whole range of
    specifications that make it unique. You can say it's not original because another bike has
    parallel linkages. You woulod show yourself to be pretty clueless if you tried to assert that.
    Heck look at what I posted a few post up, that was developed in the mid to late 90's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    I'm of the opinion that pivot and linkage placement should not be patentable. To me it seems too basic, like patenting a door knob. We don't need this type of patent to drive innovation in the bike industry. All it does is stifle innovation, raise prices and make it harder for entrepreneurs to sell anything without getting sued.

Ironically, David rather than Goliath is doing the suing here. Weagle has done some amazing things and is an all around awesome dude. But I don't think he or anyone else deserves a government granted monopoly on simple pivot and linkage placement. It is morally wrong and economically and technologically stifling.
    I disagree. Patents drive innovation and is the ONLY protection an entrepreneur has. It's not a simple pivot and linkage placement. These finer details have real impact on performance, including isolating petal bob. These are details that are not obvious and hence why they are patentable. If this wasn't the case (being able to patent such designs) you would see ZERO R&D and innovation. Why? R&D is very expensive. If you were to develop an innovative and break through design and had no protection, every company would copy it and the biggest of them all (whom would have the lowest costs) would win at the end of the day. You would be out of business with no way to recoup your investment. As a result, no company would have an R&D department. Taking a class in microeconomics is helpful as it delves into these principles in detail. I do agree these patents block entrepreneurs, those with no new ideas (innovation) whom want to enter a market space with little monetary investment and copy everyone else's work. These people/companies should be blocked for reasons above. *

* For full disclosure I'm a R&D Engineer working in new product development so my view is biased. I'm not an authority on the topic, this is just my point of view.

mtbr member
    What's the bet all these arguments never get put to a court: they hardly ever do.

All you or I will hear, is in a year or 2 's time, that DW and Giant have settled out of court and both are bound by non disclosure agreements, and the payments or not are secret.

It's posturing , giants greed is usurped only by weagles greed, so when he gets a good enough offer for holiday house on the beach , he'll take it, and giant will continue on.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    You would be pretty clueless if you can't see the resemblance between those designs.
    Nope, you are the clueless one. From the Azonic World Force, to Karpiel, to the Rocket 88 to VPP, there are different characteristics and design fundamentals that are different. You can't get past the fact that they all have 4 members, which was the original definition of 4-bar, before specialized marketing put out tons of adds in the 90s to change the definition to mean "axle not on the swingarm".

Some of those old bikes had specific things they were trying to achieve, and some were just flinging crap and seeing what would stick to the wall.

The DW link comes in with it's criteria of anti-squat. It achieved a very specific amount and at specific points in that travel. That is what was patented, not the look or anything else, just like the VPP patent was out there with a patented "S" axle path (although Santa Cruz actually abandoned it years ago and didn't tell anyone).

It's like the difference between making a linkage fork and an anti-dive linkage fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Giant designed a horst link bike a few years back, except it wasn't a horst link bike, the linkage was arranged so that when you pedaled, it tried to extend (pull apart) the shock. When set up with no sag, this actually pedaled like a hardtail, while still taking the edge of bumps. Not as plush as a specialized FSR bike, by a longshot, but it made for a decent racing bike for a few years. The Giant NRS was a different design. I think specialized may have tried to go after them or eventually they came to an understanding about the above, but the point is this "looked" like any other horst link bike, but it didn't ride like one, and it was trying to achieve something very specific. This is what you can patent. It's new and unique.

My Azonic Saber and Turner 6 pack looked very similar. So they rode the same? Nope.

If DW patents something, like a bike that doesn't compress when you pedal (horst link designs are usually poor for this) with a specific criteria that has not been accomplished before, you bet he can patent that. It's not just about good pedaling (like the giant NRS), it's about just enough anti-squat to counter the squat caused by pedaling forces. No one had ever really looked at it from this angle before and tried to "tune out" the forces. It seems like none of the manufacturers ever really took a look this deep at the forces before, prototyping designs that "seemed pretty good" and then selling them, rather than logging data and looking at the forces and coming out with what was optimal. Since he came up with a unique idea and designed around that, I think it's completely valid.

What would not be valid is some manufacturer that makes a parallel link bike that would just make up phony math or claims to support what it does. Some of them can be supported, and some can not, but I doubt they'll get far if there's nothing unique.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...just like the VPP patent was out there with a patented "S" axle path (although Santa Cruz actually abandoned it years ago and didn't tell anyone.
    They more or less told everyone - they just didn't go out of their way about it.

http://www.santacruzmtb.com/company/joe0807.php

mtbr member

The DW link comes in with it's criteria of anti-squat. It achieved a very specific amount and at specific points in that travel. That is what was patented, not the look or anything else, just like the VPP patent was out there with a patented "S" axle path (although Santa Cruz actually abandoned it years ago and didn't tell anyone).

It's like the difference between making a linkage fork and an anti-dive linkage fork.
    You don't necessarily patent thing but methods to do things. Here are the claims from the 2006 patent:
    What is claimed is:

1. A driven wheel suspension comprising a driven wheel, a damper unit, an upper carrier manipulation link and a lower carrier manipulation link, wherein said upper carrier manipulation link and said lower carrier manipulation link are arranged so that force lines through pivots of each of said manipulation links intersect in an instant center, and wherein said instant center is positioned beyond outer limits of two pivots of the lower carrier manipulation link at zero percent suspension compression and in between said two pivots as the suspension is compressed towards a point of full compression.

2. The suspension system of claim 1, wherein the suspension system is useful for a chain driven vehicle.

3. The suspension system of claim 1, wherein the suspension system is useful for a belt driven vehicle.

4. The suspension system of claim 1, wherein the suspension system is useful for a human powered vehicle.

5. The suspension system of claim 1 wherein a damper unit is connected to the upper carrier manipulation link.

6. The suspension system of claim 1 wherein a damper unit is connected to the lower carrier manipulation link.

7. The suspension system of claim 1 wherein a damper unit is connected to a wheel carrier link.

8. The suspension system of claim 1 wherein a damper unit is connected to the upper carrier link and lower carrier manipulation link.

9. The suspension system of claim 1, wherein the damper unit is selected from the group consisting of a spring, a compression gas spring, a leaf spring, a coil spring, and a fluid.

Again, it is mostly about "Instant center". To see if any design challenges the dw link, just do an instant center analysis. In retrospect, Tony Ellsworth was a revolutionary. With that said, it would be hard to have a bike that had the same basic linkage position that did not have the same "Instant center'. Nothing about Squat is claimed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nope, you are the clueless one. From the Azonic World Force, to Karpiel, to the Rocket 88 to VPP, there are different characteristics and design fundamentals that are different. You can't get past the fact that they all have 4 members, which was the original definition of 4-bar, before specialized marketing put out tons of adds in the 90s to change the definition to mean "axle not on the swingarm".

Some of those old bikes had specific things they were trying to achieve, and some were just flinging crap and seeing what would stick to the wall.

You didn't even read my posts, did you? I stated there are key similarities and differences between the different designs. I don't know what's actually patented, and I don't really care. The designs are not original. They took existing designs and modified them in a way to wiggle around existing patents and add one or two aspects that they could patent themselves. It's smart, but I think it's bullsh!t. Just like you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

'manipulation link'....ROTFLOL.....that should be the name!

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    You don't necessarily patent thing but methods to do things. Here are the claims from the 2006 patent:
    What is claimed is:

(vague nonsense)
    They forgot: Assumes the human's great, fat, body does not ever move relative to the manipulation links.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast