mtbr member

Dump the Fox 36...for a Marz 55?

Kind of a strange question...I have a first-world conundrum.

I recently puchased a 2012 Slayer 30. I bought the lower model because I planned to replace a number of the parts...mainly the fork.

The bike came with a Marz 55r fork. I planned to replace it with a 2013 Fox 36 Float R. AND...I gotta tell ya...the Marz fork feels really good. So good that I am questioning even keeping the Fox. How can that be? The Marzocchi feels buttery smooth, and is simple. Two coils, spring preload, and rebound. Heavy as hell.

Now...I've had bad luck with Marz 55s in the past. They always blow seals and leak air/oil. That worries me a bit. I don't want to dump my Fox fork and then have the Marz blow up.

Can you guys tell me if, in general, the newer model Marz forks have good reliability? If we can get a consensus that this fork is reliable and easy to maintain/service, I may just keep it and dump the Fox.

Seems like I might've fell for the marketing. How can such a cheap fork be better than the "best"?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Marzocchi has been awesome from 2010 to date.
    Easy to maintain and hard to kill.
    I wouldn't trade the 55R for a Float R.
    However, the higher end 36 Floats with the FIT cartridge could be worth the trade for more adjustments/self "tuning" options.

mtbr member
    OK...now we're cookin'.

I like the idea of easy to maintain and hard to kill.

My fox is the Float R version. No damping cart...just rebound. I actually think the open bath is more "active" than the FIT RC2 versions I've ridden. Anyhow, I was blown away by how good the Marz feels. I literally felt like a fool for spending so much money on the Fox...the marz feels every bit as good...but it is heavier.

mtbr member
    And I CAN live with heavier if it means that the fork is bombproof...bombproof in the sense of maintenance and seals, etc.

I do not enjoy working on forks. I want as simple as possible, with a good ride feel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    Seems like I might've fell for the marketing. How can such a cheap fork be better than the "best"?
    Marzocchi's fixed travel and coil sprung forks are great, aside from a blip around 2008/9 when they decided to fit bushings made from squashed donuts.

The travel adjust and air sprung models, particularly anything with ATA in it's name, stink. But the coil forks benefit from a 'make it simple, make it strong' attitude.

Honestly I would keep it over a 36, for my money the best 160/170mm fork available right now is the X-Fusion Vengeance (on all fronts, build quality, damper, customer care). If you were to replace the 55 with anything I would highly recommend a Vengeance HLR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here's back to back review of the 3 major mfrs. Worth checking out.

Test – Lyrik vs Float vs Marzocchi 55′s | I-MTB Magazine

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Ive found the Marz to be a better fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE View Post
    Here's back to back review of the 3 major mfrs. Worth checking out.

Test Lyrik vs Float vs Marzocchi 55′s | I-MTB Magazine
    I found the article and video inside it to be informative, but I agree with the first reply/comment below. They tested the best Marzocchi against the cheapest Lyric and a mid-pack Fox.

You also have two italian guys, one of which is wearing a Marz shirt, giving the feedback. I would ask the englishman at the beginning of the video what he thought, if he was able to ride the different forks. Italians have a lot of pride. I don't doubt that in this test the Marz was the best, but considering the forks chosen for the comparison, I do think the outcome was pre-ordained.

mtbr member
    OK thanks. The reviews were helpful...but I'm not sure about the result because the fork they tested is WAY fancier than my plain old 55R fork. Apples to apples? Either way, it was good to hear a little more support for Marz.

It is good to hear that folks here are very postive about the Marz.

Absurd
    I got the 2012 55 micro ti back in March, and have beaten the sh!t out of it once a week ever since with no problems at all. The performance is dope, it's always buttery smooth. For a single crown air fork, this thing brings back memories of my 2003 super t. I think the old Marzocchi is back. As far as the weight, I think its around 4 3/4 pounds, not too much heavier than other forks in that niche.

Flaccid Member
    I've had 2 different Marz 44 Micro Ti's 29'ers for about 18 months each now, ridden them severely all year round here in Southern California, AZ, UT and CO.

They have lived up to the name Bomber, I weigh 240 pounds wet. Just wipe off the dirt and dust off the stanchions after every ride with a soft wet cloth, gently, and service the bath oil in them like you are supposed to, every 50 to 60 hrs of riding, and they will last a long, long time, if you don't ding ,gouge or chip the stanchions in crashes.

If you screw something up, send it in to Ronnie at Marzocchi in Valencia CA for a service, and pay to have it done right.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Looks like I will be listing the Fox on eBay.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    can you guys kindly tell me how much psi and your weight your are running in your 55R's (2012-13)?

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    can you guys kindly tell me how much psi and your weight your are running in your 55R's (2012-13)?
    2012 55 MicroTi
    175 lbs, probably closer to 185 with all my gear on and I run mine at 80psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just purchased the 55 micro switch TA. Very impressive/smooth for an air spring. I'm 145 geared up running 85 PSI. Sag set around 1".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I found the article and video inside it to be informative, but I agree with the first reply/comment below. They tested the best Marzocchi against the cheapest Lyric and a mid-pack Fox.

You also have two italian guys, one of which is wearing a Marz shirt, giving the feedback. I would ask the englishman at the beginning of the video what he thought, if he was able to ride the different forks. Italians have a lot of pride. I don't doubt that in this test the Marz was the best, but considering the forks chosen for the comparison, I do think the outcome was pre-ordained.
    I know this was 2 weeks ago but um they tested the number 3 fork out of 4 55's. There are two better then the one they tested so they were actually equal.