mtbr member
    Sep 2008

DT EXC 150 on Mojo SL - fork tuning problem

Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired a DT EXC 150 suspension fork for my Mojo SL, it appears to be very good in most respects but I feel I'm not getting the maximum out of the performance envelope.

I've ridden quite a few forks but never owned one with compression and rebound adjust. I'm around 100 - 103kg (220-230lbs), I'm running the fork at 115PSI. I've played around with numerous permutations of the blue compression adjuster under the fork leg and the red adjuster on the top for rebound but it never feels quite right. Also unsure if the black threshold adjuster wheel plays a major role as well in active suspension dynamic (which i dont think it does, just lock-down breakaway), so I've not done much with it.

I wondered if anyone had a methodology for setup as I feel like I'm chasing the error and unsure if i've got one of the the 3 paraemters sorted before I move onto the next, i.e. set pressure, fiddle with compression and rebound but was the pressure right in the first place! If anyone has any expereince on how to logically set it up I'd appreciate the help, especially which part to do first and how to assess the parameter before moving onto the next. I tend to like my forks quite smooth and I understand they'll dive if it's too soft but I would tend towards this rather than being uncompliant and too stiff. I know this is pretty subjective and can be a black art at times but any tips or thoughts very welcome.

Many thanks

C

mtbr member
    I'm running the same fork and am not much lighter than you, so I guess it's safe to say you're already on the right track there
    So I'd start with zero compression damping, the knob fully turned out, to dial in a rough first pressure to start with. Measure the sag to do so.
    Then you can tune the damping. I normally re-set rebound pretty often so this is always based on subjective impressions I get while riding. Push the fork down with force and set the knob just as far to the left that the fork seems about fast enough. Remember, you paid for the damping so use it!
    Then you can take a ride and dial in the compression. I normally use it against brake dive and bobbing. It is very sensitive so you have to do this in small increments. As soon as the fork looses its plush and sensitive feel you've gotten too far
    I like the fork for its plush and yet controlled feeling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks very much i'm going for a ride tomorrow so i'll try this approach. I was unsure which order to approach the three parts in so this is ideal, i'm sure it'll do the trick.

Many thanks

C

mtbr member
    It's the first step more or less. If you're done with this and have a rough, first setup, you could try to refine it further. For example use a little less pressure due to the compression damping.