View Poll Results: Pull and all nighter and replace the seals or fahgetaboutit?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replace dry rotted wiper seals in 2 sets of forks just before our MTB trip?

5 71.43%
  • Dude, they are just wiper seals and don't effect much. Have a beer and get some sleep.

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Dry rotted Reba wipers and a time crunch

Getting ready to go on a 5 week MTB trip out West. I noticed that both my, and my wife's, 2010 Reba Race 29er wiper seals have little cracks all around. I happen to have two sets of replacement aftermarket seals but time I do not have.

I am also worried about larger issues like faulty reassembly with the remote lockout and U-turn features as I have not replaced seals on RS forks with these features before.

Should I forget about the seals as they are not that critical or bite the bullet, drink a redbull or 3 and get crackin'?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just oil the dust seals with some fork oil to keep them nice and supple before each ride.

You could drop the lowers off, and just replace the dust seals without much of an issue, but if you take the lower circlip off there is a risk it'll weaken it / not seat right and fail mid ride on your first ride, so I wouldn't go that far.

Class Clown
    could have been done by now get going!

mtbr member
    Bad seals should not affect damping or travel adjust, but I'd recommend changing the seals for the following reasons:
    1. Cracks could let dirt in, which will accelerate bushing wear
    2. It's a good excuse to change your semi-bath/lower lubricating oil if you haven't before? Low or dirty oil will definitly damage the fork long-term

Good luck in your decision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sleep or replacing your fork sooner?
    That or replace the seals on your trip. It shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes per fork... And think of all the sleep you'll gain not worrying about it.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp - Lyrik RC2 DH

"El Whatever"
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Reba's have only wipers and not seals?

If so, ride it for your trip if you wish, but replace them ASAP as they may let contaminants get into your foam rings and eventually the lowers as mentioned before.

To replace the wipers, you just need to pull out the lowers. As mentioned by others, it will not mess with your settings. If anything, it will need some bed in but that's it.

Don't panic, but don't let it go.
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Reba's have only wipers and not seals?

If so, ride it for your trip if you wish, but replace them ASAP as they may let contaminants get into your foam rings and eventually the lowers as mentioned before.

To replace the wipers, you just need to pull out the lowers. As mentioned by others, it will not mess with your settings. If anything, it will need some bed in but that's it.

Don't panic, but don't let it go.
    You're correct Warp, Rebas have a one piece wiper/seal.

It is important to lightly lube the wipers with suspension oil (maybe during the night and clean them in the morning) once in a while as it contains seal conditioners and it will return their softness and will avoid cracking. Make sure you clean them well because oil will attract dirt and you don't want a bunch of dirt sanding your stanchions on every stroke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You could actually leave the Positive and Neg air in there, just keep the forks inverted as much as possible and the oil in there won't even escape, likely best to add some extra but not much.

eat your porridge jordie
    Seals on the reba should be about a 7 minute job. DŁ it
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"