mtbr member
    May 2007

Drop off IV, Sucks, I know, but...

Last spring, i picked up a base 2007 kona coiler. Love the bike, not so much the fork. Lots of searching has turned up that its junk. If i sell of some stuff, a new fork will be in the budget at some point. But for now, im messing with it, trying to get it as good as i can. I build a tool to adjust the rebound, and have played with the air. At my riding ability, it works fine at bigger hits, but sucks on the small stuff. Washborded and rocky roads can blur my vision...doesent soak up anything small. If i set it so it has any sag, its too soft on big hits. I'm at about 190 with my gear on.
    So, is there any hope for it? Im a mechanic, and i like to work on stuff...I read somewhere to a reference to internal mods you can do to it to improve it, but no details. I know the best answer is buy a better fork, but for now, i like to do whatever i can to what i have. And if nothing else, for the experiance!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 340scout2
    Last spring, i picked up a base 2007 kona coiler. Love the bike, not so much the fork. Lots of searching has turned up that its junk. If i sell of some stuff, a new fork will be in the budget at some point. But for now, im messing with it, trying to get it as good as i can. I build a tool to adjust the rebound, and have played with the air. At my riding ability, it works fine at bigger hits, but sucks on the small stuff. Washborded and rocky roads can blur my vision...doesent soak up anything small. If i set it so it has any sag, its too soft on big hits. I'm at about 190 with my gear on.
    So, is there any hope for it? Im a mechanic, and i like to work on stuff...I read somewhere to a reference to internal mods you can do to it to improve it, but no details. I know the best answer is buy a better fork, but for now, i like to do whatever i can to what i have. And if nothing else, for the experiance!!
    Do some searches on oil volume and oil weight. You might be able to change the feel by using a lighter weight fork oil but still help BO by adding more.
    Again do some searching or PM the Marzocchi Tech guy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, i ran 5wt motocycle suspension fluid i had left over from a dirt bike project, Ran a bit more, tweaked the rebound a bit more, played with the air, and coated the sliders in oil...Took it for a ride, and it felt pretty good for what it is. Rode again today, and wanted to stop where i was, take the forks off, throw them in the woods, and walk the bike home...I really think for me, they would be manageable if there weren't so dang sticky. Coming down the paved road, tonight, i could lean over the bars, the forks wouldn't move at all...then hit small bump, they'd break loose and drop an inch...till i moved back. Maybe im wrong...but in my mind...as i put more and more weight over my front tire, my forks should slowly and smothly compress. The stickiness completely kills and high speed compression dampening. Every bump you hit at speed has to over come the sticktion before the fork can dampen it, So you get that initial jolt every time. Of course, anyone whos had this fork no all this. So i write this mostly to those like me, who insist on trying to make it work for them. The best advice i can give is this:

If you try and polish a turd, all you get it dirty hands.

Flying Goat
    the drop off uses an orifice damper. I know guys like XSL_Will has modified the damper with ball bearings keeping the orifice always open preventing it from spiking. Something you could try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 340scout2
    Well, i ran 5wt motocycle suspension fluid i had left over from a dirt bike project, Ran a bit more, tweaked the rebound a bit more, played with the air, and coated the sliders in oil...Took it for a ride, and it felt pretty good for what it is. Rode again today, and wanted to stop where i was, take the forks off, throw them in the woods, and walk the bike home...I really think for me, they would be manageable if there weren't so dang sticky. Coming down the paved road, tonight, i could lean over the bars, the forks wouldn't move at all...then hit small bump, they'd break loose and drop an inch...till i moved back. Maybe im wrong...but in my mind...as i put more and more weight over my front tire, my forks should slowly and smothly compress. The stickiness completely kills and high speed compression dampening. Every bump you hit at speed has to over come the sticktion before the fork can dampen it, So you get that initial jolt every time. Of course, anyone whos had this fork no all this. So i write this mostly to those like me, who insist on trying to make it work for them. The best advice i can give is this:

If you try and polish a turd, all you get it dirty hands.
    How many hours have you ridden it? Marzocchi's take awhile to break in their seals. Not that it's going to help but I have read numerous times about how it takes at least 20 hours for the seals to break in! FWIW.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ive read about modifying the damper. But i dont think thats my biggest problem right now. 5wt did make a big difference in compression dampening. But its still way to sticky. And I have probabaly 200 miles on it. So dont know how that equates to hours. Honestly, making it work would be nice...but if i sell my old street bike for $6-800, I'll just buy a better fork.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hopefully my fix for my fork arrived via UPS Thursday:

New RS domain 318, $385 shipped. And not even broken in, just working it on the floor, feels way better than the drop off! Hopefully will fix most of my drop off issues!

Flying Goat
    Rock shox has their Moco down... congrats on a sweet fork!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well said 340 scout lol!I have owned much marzocchi gashness in my time,right back to the dh3's-old skool!I used to kid myself into thinking that marzocchi are producing a quality product but im afraid its all cats arse-remember the shiver sc haha what an abomonation.Grab yourself a set of pikes or manitous and save yourself some money fella.