mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Drop off 4 fork 150mm question & problems

Hey guys,

My younger bro just picked up a 06 Kona Coiler bike short of the brakes, but it has the Drop off 4 fork set at 150mm. It seems to be an air-assist only fork. No other external adjustments.

I took the top caps off because it makes a horrible noise inside the fork and it seems like the springs are rubbing the leg on compression and making a noise, and the fork also tops out horribly. I know it is an entry level cheapy fork but I figured for my brothers ake I'd see what else can be done to limp it along.

I know there's a rebound adjustment down in the fork leg that you need a mile long hex adjustment but anything to make it not top out so badly? OR to help the spring not rub so badly. I think the sounds it's making is topping out but it's nasty none the less. It almost sounds like the bushings are shot but I don't think the fork has much time on it.

Any help would be appricated!

Thanks again,
    Chris

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, I can tell you this...I had a 2004 Drop Off Triple that came with my Stinky.

It was a noisy SOB...no adjustments (not even internal rebound) other than the air pressure. I heavily greased the one spring (in the left leg) to reduce noise, which helped a little. I also played with oil weight and height to get the desired dampening.

BUT...while it wasn't the nicest feeling or sounding fork...it did take a beating and never gave many any maintenance headaches.

It is what it is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

For the top out....

turn up the rebound damping. Yes you'll need the mile long hex wrench to do it, but it's worth the trouble. The easiest way to do it is to remove the top caps and fully compress the fork, makes for a shorter reach to the adjuster. If you still can't get it to stop topping out harshly then change the oil to something heavier. Stock Zocch oil is Golden Spectro 125/150 (7.5w). Go to a 10w oil and re-adjust the rebound damper. For the spring noise a 4 to 5inch long piece of heat shrink tubing placed in the center of the coil then heated to shrink it will help quite a bit. The only problem is finding the heat shrink in a large enough diameter to go ove the coil. It is out there, but you may have to do some shopping to find it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"