mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Domain 318 vs Boxxer Ride.

I have a 318 Domain (2011 - fixed @ 180mm travel) , I was offered a trade with a Boxxer Ride (2007 ?? - u-turn 130-178mm travel). Also the trader states that he bought it new in 2009. As far as I know, they stopped making them in 2006. He also says he noticed a little oil residue near his motion control adjuster. Says it's the o-ring and it's an easy fix.

What to do ? Haven't found many topics on his fork and almost no videos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladi View Post
    I have a 318 Domain (2011 - fixed @ 180mm travel) , I was offered a trade with a Boxxer Ride (2007 ?? - u-turn 130-178mm travel). Also the trader states that he bought it new in 2009. As far as I know, they stopped making them in 2006. He also says he noticed a little oil residue near his motion control adjuster. Says it's the o-ring and it's an easy fix.

What to do ? Haven't found many topics on his fork and almost no videos.
    The U-turn feature of the Ride was a bit odd as most DC users just ran full travel. Not sure how much a Domain weighs but the Ride must be 7lb. If the MoCo leaks I'd personally just buy a new MoCo damper ($50 ?) The o-ring seal area is a funky design which were prone to leakage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is the Ride superior to the Domain in any way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladi View Post
    Is the Ride superior to the Domain in any way.
    Dual crown stiffness. The Ride has MoCo not sure what model Domain you have. I'd consider the Domain a freeride fork and the Ride more of a DH / freeride fork.

mtbr member
    I was under the impression Boxxers before 2010 are 32mm stanchions where as the Domain is 35mm. The 318 should have motion control IS.

mtbr member
    Just because he purchased it in 2009, doesn't mean that the fork was brand spanking new when he got it, it could at best be NOS, or at worst, he got it 2nd hand himself and considered it "new".
    Anything that age that is leaking/weeping any oil, is likely some cause for concern, as there my be more work needed to be done to the fork. Ask the seller what previous servicing he's done on the fork.
    One final thing, is your current frame rated for use with a dual crown fork?
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!