mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Domain 318 recall?

Anyone heard from sram about this? Little background- buddy of mine was in from out of town, and had a new bike shipped to my place. He leaves town with the bike, and a month goes by. I get a call on my answering machine from SRAM saying they were recalling that fork, and wanted to get it exchanged asap. They left a callback number, but I fat fingered the buttons on my machine and deleted the message. I've passed the info on (well, sans phone number) on to my friend, and he's looking into it, but I wanted to ask if anyone had details. Thanks.

I AM I AM
    No info on that but I sure hope they're not recalling the '09 (180mm coil) model as I just brought one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    No info on that but I sure hope they're not recalling the '09 (180mm coil) model as I just brought one!
    Same here. *goes looking for the registration card...*

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

which version?

Is his fork the 180 mm or the 160 mm u-turn?
    I bought an '08 u-turn back in March...

mtbr "member"

CSCP site has nothing

last Rock Shox recall was 2000 then one in 1995

REEK

banned
    There does not need to be a CPSC recall for an internal recall to take place. The CPSC comes in when the manufacturer doesn't or someone complains to them first.

mtbr member
    Interesting.....Please post more info as you hear it...
    Last edited by mcrumble69; 11-04-2008 at 12:04 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Interesting.....Anyone know what it's being recalled for?
    I have had a 318 U-Turn since January without any issues..
    Be a bit more responsible in the wording, first thing. There hasn't been a confirmation yet of a recall and the OP doesn't seem to be in touch with SRAM in the first place. I would think a call could go to sram and there would be confirmation or denial. Only after that point should people start running through the streets in panic over the Domain recall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Be a bit more responsible in the wording, first thing. There hasn't been a confirmation yet of a recall and the OP doesn't seem to be in touch with SRAM in the first place. I would think a call could go to sram and there would be confirmation or denial. Only after that point should people start running through the streets in panic over the Domain recall.
    Happy?

Now I will proceed to run through the streets just like I did when Manitou recalled my Nixon..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Please, no panic in the streets. I was hoping that the the collective mtbr mind might have more info than my memory of a deleted voice-mail. He has whatever came on the bottlerocket build from Transition. I think his did not have the U-turn.

I'll post more when if/when I have more info. The guy with the bike is back in europe, so lots of timezones in the way. I'm sure if it's serious (dampers replaced with c4 that explodes when bottomed out) we'll all hear about it.

Its got what plants crave
    The only consistent problem I've heard of was faulty crush washers that caused a leak from the rebound knob. A somewhat easy fix.

mtbr member

New question here. Small update...

I have no information yet.

I am the guy who they were looking for.

Let me clarify what happened. I ordered a bike and build that had the Domain 318 coil up front. (the normal one, not the U-turn.) As I was visiting from Munich, I had to give then my buddys info for shipping etc.

I have not heard back from SRAM about this recall or whatever it is.

My other friend who is a SRAM-fanboy, said if there WERE a recall, there would be information about it on their site. I agreed, so maybe they had some info about my fork specifically, or maybe they are just being careful... I don't know.

As I hear from them, I will post here. Im hoping to get a call from them this afternoon or tomorrow.

C.
    I don't play god.
    Playing is for children.

mtbr member

Better update

Woke up this morning to have this in my inbox.

It sounds like you may have purchased a Transition with a Domain on it, and they are holding the bike. We have had some issues with a few Domain forks with steel steerer tubes. There is a batch of forks that we are currently in process of replacing. The replacements that we are sending out are all aluminum steerer tube versions of the same forks.

We should have all the forks back from Transition by the end of the week and have replacements back to them shortly.

So it would seem to be fairly localized and only to do with the steel steerer tubes. It also sounds like they have done a voluntary recall, so If you have the steel Domain 318, then Im guessing you can expect a call in the next days.

Sorry to stress all of you out, but since I had no information on this side of the ocean, I wanted to ask around here first. Now that we have a better answer, we can all relax and go on with our celebrations of Obama kicking an old man's ass.

I don't play god.
    Playing is for children.

I AM I AM
    Phew! I got mine from CRC and the first one that arrived was used (star nut installed etc etc) so I sent it back, and in exchange for having to pay the $100 return postage they ended up sending me the '09 model (which cost about that much more than the '08 anyway).
    Now I say phew because the first one had a steel steerer, the '09 I thought had an Al steerer - well I think it does as it felt reasonably lighter and it was anodized black.

You wouldn't have any serial nunber details? It does sound like a pretty specific batch though.

mtbr member
    Damn!!! Mine has an aluminum steerer..
    I'm about due for an oil change and I was hoping for a free rebuild..
    I guess now I gotta do it myself..

mtbr member

My FINAL update... (maybe)

Well I heard back from SRAM about the forks. Here is the info I got.

It will be very ease for us to tell. First is the steerer steel. The only steerer effected are steel. The easy way to tell is to put a magnet on the steerer under the crown. If it sticks, you've got steel.

Now, if you have a steel steerer check to see what your serial number is. The serial number is marked on the back/center of the crown.

Below are the effect serial number:
    13T80006371 thru 13T80006380
    23T80030421 thru 23T80030425
    23T80030511 thru 23T80030515
    Mine was 23T80030424. Steel steerer.

I was lucky. I was going home from assembling my bike that finally arrived. I had ridden in once before, and was sure I could get the 6 blocks home without incident.

I was wrong.

Luckily it happened on a busy street with passersby to help me get my crap together after going over and banging myself up in the crosswalk. I walked it home and everything seems OK. A few new scratches on the bike, but other than that and the expected bruises, I'm good. (I know you care...)

C.

Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't play god.
    Playing is for children.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Holy.... Glad to hear you're okay. This looks as serious as anything I've ever seen. I guess when Sram issues a recall we'd better pay attention!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    GGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. Guess they mean it when they said swap as soon as possible. Try not to die, ok?

I AM I AM
    Holy schmoly! I checked that mine was alloy quick smart!
    Glad it wasn't more serious - that happening on the mountain could have had some pretty dire consequences!

Transplant
    Wow.

I don't really want to get involved in this but I am not sure why you thought you would go out and ride it? They went above and beyond the call of duty (to call you personally) to make sure you knew it was defective but you rode it anyway. I guess I just don't understand some people. And those pictures are definitely going to come back and bite them in the ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Wow.

I don't really want to get involved in this but I am not sure why you thought you would go out and ride it? They went above and beyond the call of duty (to call you personally) to make sure you knew it was defective but you rode it anyway. I guess I just don't understand some people. And those pictures are definitely going to come back and bite them in the ass.

Well, thing is, I rode it on the TRAIL before anything happened. then while it was being shipped my friend got the voicemail, but fat-fingered it . (That means he deleted it.. probably after a few beers.)

I didn't hear the message personally and as I rode it before, i really thought i could get it the 5 blocks home on the sidewalk without issue. My judgement was If it held up on a 2-hour off-road ride originally, it can get me home on flat asphalt. Live and learn, the hard way..)

As for biting them in the ass, I doubt it. Many manu's do recalls, and people break stuff. If anything the fact that I have an email this morning wishing me well and telling me the center here in Germany will be calling me on Monday for specs on the fork and shipping a replacement is enough to satisfy myself as well as many other consumers.)

Check out some posts about their service. Its nice to see they take care of people who buy their products. Many companies make it as hard as possible.

C.
    I don't play god.
    Playing is for children.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ouch..
    I am one of them..
    mine is 13T80006376
    i bought this fork along with my transition dirtbag frame...arghh..

Anyone can pm me the sram email address for this matter...
    I think this gonna cost me a lot. since Im located in Singapore.

Thanks heaps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

update

my lbs called me to let me know what to check. i guess all domain 302 and 318 with serial numbers from 09T8XXXXXX to 42T8XXXXXX are the ones affected. i was cool with my 03T. just letting you all know