mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Does this indicate that i have a problem?

I took my bike apart for cleaning, and saw what you see in the attached image

Is the wear you can see from my headset ( chris king ) normal? ( fork = fox float 32 )

doesn't look too deep...but just curious what people thought

About 2 years of riding

hmmm...now that i look at that picture...maybe its not the headset, but the spacers right above the headset? I don't think so - pretty sure the wear was hidden until I pulled the steerer completely out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does this indicate that i have a problem?-pict0004_smaller.jpg  

Last edited by slcpunk; 12-10-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Takin'er easy
    Check the upper bearing cap on the headset. That upper cap will wear at the bevel, and will need to be replaced if the bevel is pitted or worn. Otherwise, after pre-loading the bearings and tightening down the stem, make sure your headset spacers don't spin around the steerer tube by hand.

To answer your question: it is tough to tell from the picture whether the steerer tube is cracked or not. The wear doesn't look too bad, but if there is a crack, you will need to replace the upper assembly of the fork.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    How old is the headset? Does it have the o-ring that is in the top bearing race? Maybe that o-ring needs replacing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    How old is the headset? Does it have the o-ring that is in the top bearing race? Maybe that o-ring needs replacing.
    i did replace the o-ring once, it was damaged originally ( the original cut of the fork was a bit rough, and the o-ring was damaged during install )

I checked the headset, but the insides seem smooth ( I actually have the cups out of the frame right now ). Can you explain a bit more "upper bearing cap". What is the "bearing cap"? There is the silver part on the inside that touches the steerer tube ... and there is the top-cap ... not quite sure I understand what to check.

I don't think the steerer tube is cracked - just showing wear in that black coating. ( feels smooth to the touch )

I'll double check the insides of the cups and the o-ring as you said.

thx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    i did replace the o-ring once, it was damaged originally ( the original cut of the fork was a bit rough, and the o-ring was damaged during install )

I checked the headset, but the insides seem smooth ( I actually have the cups out of the frame right now ). Can you explain a bit more "upper bearing cap". What is the "bearing cap"? There is the silver part on the inside that touches the steerer tube ... and there is the top-cap ... not quite sure I understand what to check.

I don't think the steerer tube is cracked - just showing wear in that black coating. ( feels smooth to the touch )

I'll double check the insides of the cups and the o-ring as you said.

thx
    oh duy, this is what you mean. very clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's one of the first reasons I quit using CK headseats - goofy o-ring retainer system. Now on Cane Creek and I don't see wear marks when taken apart.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    oh duy, this is what you mean. very clear.

The O-ring is the Achillesí Heel of the King headset which is evident on longer travel forks which is why I moved over to the Cane Creek 110. It would be a great headset if they would license Cane Creeks 770 patent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know its 2014 now ... and this was answered in many other places ... but to reply to my own thread. I ended up getting a newer bearing cap from CK "Chris King GripLockô Bearing Cap Assembly" seems much improved. I used to have the headset loosen all the time, now it stays tight and quiet.

Other posts say this didn't help everyone, but worked for me and wasn't that expensive.

I think newer CK headsets come with that bearing cap now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    I know its 2014 now ... and this was answered in many other places ... but to reply to my own thread. I ended up getting a newer bearing cap from CK "Chris King GripLockô Bearing Cap Assembly" seems much improved. I used to have the headset loosen all the time, now it stays tight and quiet.

Other posts say this didn't help everyone, but worked for me and wasn't that expensive.

I think newer CK headsets come with that bearing cap now.
    No, this helped nearly everyone, this issues was much bigger in other threads. This was a known flaw with CK headsets. The fact that CK made people pay to "upgrade" to one without a flaw was a little crappy, but that part fixes the issue of not having a compression-ring to preload the bearing/hold it tight. Otherwise it kind of floats around in there and the o-ring will allow movement that results in a loose headset and the scoring you showed above.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.