mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Does anyone rent/demo shocks?

I'm thinking of upgrading my RP23, but I'd really like to be able to try before I buy. Does anyone know of any shops or services out there that would let me rent or demo a shock or two?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go-ride had a rental program : Go-Ride.com has a new shock demo program! . Doesn't link anymore.

mtbr member
    What size do you need? That's one of the most vanilla rear shocks out there so it's hard to believe you wouldn't like it. Going to Monarch Plus or DBAir or something would make sense to really demo it but the RP23 is really a starting point for most people.

What bike? Where are you riding? Riding style? Weight? Do you know what tune you need for R or C? Details, man, details!

I have a few rear shocks laying around: Manitou, Fox, RockShox, XFusion.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    Trailwerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sure, the details. I'm riding a Mojo HD140, converted to 650b on rocky, bony New England singletrack. I'm looking for something that doesn't heat up as easily and that stays more composed over repeated fast small sharp hits.

I'm about 175 geared. The bike likes a low compression, medium rebound tune. I like to ride with about 30% sag and the rebound a little on the slow side. I believe I'm on a small volume air can.

I'm most interested in riding a Vector Air, Monarch Plus, or DBAir, but I'm also just generally curious. All I've ever ridden are versions of the RP23, so it's a case of not knowing what's out there or how it feels. I would want to try a 7.875x2.0, 7.875x2.25, or an 8.5x2.5, for bike different configurations.

Quiet Professional
    I am with you there. I would want to try the monarch plus, fox dhx 5, Vector air, and maybe the db air or vivid air.