mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Did your Fox fork feel stiffer after seal/oil replacement?

I just installed enduro seals and replaced the oils in my 2008 Fox Float RL fork for the first time yesterday. Everything went fine and no bushing or stanchion issues either.

However today while riding, I noticed my fork was probably only getting 50% of its travel - as measured by the dust line on the stanchion. I'm running the same air pressure and rebound settings as before.

Am I just witnessing the difference between 5 year old oil versus brand new (FYI the old oil was clean/clear)?

mtbr member
    What was your exact procedure? Probably a wrong amount of oil somewhere.. and what pressure do you run / weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I followed the service docs on Fox's site. The only thing I can think of in regard to too much oils is that I had to fill the damper leg twice because I messed up the first time.

I suppose there could be a couple ml's I. The damper internal if some got in there while I was trying to fill the leg the first time...u also did cycle the internal after disassembly to remove all the fluid from it.

I'm running 110 psi and weigh 195 - 200. Rebound set at 7 clicks to the positive.

Do I really need to tear it all down again or could I just lower the pressure? I also just wonder if its a psyological thing since I don't really know if its more or less than before - just "seems" stiffer.

aka dan51
    Remove all air, then compress and see if it will go all the way down.
    If it does, then you have too much air pressure.
    If it doesn't, then you have too much oil.
    Adjust accordingly.
    Also, do not use the Fox recommended air pressure. Start there, but adjust as necessary. Chances are the recommended pressure will be too high.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Remove all air, then compress and see if it will go all the way down.
    If it does, then you have too much air pressure.
    If it doesn't, then you have too much oil.
    Adjust accordingly.
    Also, do not use the Fox recommended air pressure. Start there, but adjust as necessary. Chances are the recommended pressure will be too high.
    When you say to remove all air and see if it goes all the way down - will any of the stanchion be visible? Or would an inch or two still be visible?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    When you say to remove all air and see if it goes all the way down - will any of the stanchion be visible? Or would an inch or two still be visible?
    Should go all the way down, with a few mm still visible.
    Easiest thing would be to measure how many mm it drops, and does that equal, or come close, to the mfg spec.
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Should go all the way down, with a few mm still visible.
    Easiest thing would be to measure how many mm it drops, and does that equal, or come close, to the mfg spec.
    Thanks! That is what I was thinking just after I asked the question before.

mtbr member
    Dumb question: did you install/press in the Enduro seal first, then slipped in the stanchions/uppers? Or, did you pull the old Fox seals and foam ring, slipped the Enduro seal and foam ring onto the uppers, insert uppers into the lowers, then pressed in the foam ring and Enduro seals after?
    If you did it the first way, you may have folded the foam ring w/ the stanchions. I recently got my 34 Float back from Fox after a CSU warranty, and it too felt too stiff to be right. So I dropped the lowers to see what's up. Lo and behold, the foam rings (both sides) were folded.

Just some food for thought.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Dumb question: did you install/press in the Enduro seal first, then slipped in the stanchions/uppers? Or, did you pull the old Fox seals and foam ring, slipped the Enduro seal and foam ring onto the uppers, insert uppers into the lowers, then pressed in the foam ring and Enduro seals after?
    If you did it the first way, you may have folded the foam ring w/ the stanchions. I recently got my 34 Float back from Fox after a CSU warranty, and it too felt too stiff to be right. So I dropped the lowers to see what's up. Lo and behold, the foam rings (both sides) were folded.

Just some food for thought.
    Ahh good point....

Well, I did it the first way since I was following the instructions. If letting the air out doesn't allow it to compress all the way, I'll pull it apart and reassemble by slipping the wiper, oil seal, then foam ring onto the stanchions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Ahh good point....

Well, I did it the first way since I was following the instructions. If letting the air out doesn't allow it to compress all the way, I'll pull it apart and reassemble by slipping the wiper, oil seal, then foam ring onto the stanchions.
    Just check it first. No sense in pulling the seals out if that's not the issue...

Oh, if you're not able to get a solid bottoming, there may be a possibility your bottomout donut is on its side...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Oh, if you're not able to get a solid bottoming, there may be a possibility your bottomout donut is on its side...?
    Can you help me understand how to check this (if it gets to this)? I didn't see any bottom out donut when I had it apart, so need some clarification please!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Well letting all the air out allowed the fork to fully compress. I did have to push it some after all the pressure was gone - but I guess that is to expected to overcome the stiction.

So I guess perhaps my air pressure is to high...so what's the recommendation to properly set pressure?

I was at 110psi -195lbs.

According to this from Fox I was too high.

I'll start at 95psi I guess and adjust to 25% sag...is that what everyone else does and tweak from there?

aka dan51
    Recommended air pressure is to run what feels right.
    Start at the Fox recommendation and adjust -+5psi until it feels best.
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    I'm 175 and run 80-85 psi on brand new fork.

mtbr member
    Do forks have a break in period? I am having a similar issue on my Fox Float 32 (130 mm travel).