mtbr member

Did I break my DHX 3.0?

So I let the air out of the resivior on my wifes dhx 3.0 coil shock last night then pushed down on the seat several times. Put the shock through about a third of its travel. Then went inside and read that this can cause cavitation. How can I tell if I cavitated the shock? I dont have the cash to get it rebuilt and my wife will kill me if I ruined her shock? How can I tell? I dont wnna take it to a shop because I feel like they will say anything to get money out of me.
    Last edited by Pwshadow; 07-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.

mtb junkie
    inflate to 130psi ante cycle it. then post here what are the simptoms. if i get it right cavitation is oil past in the air chamber. this should be easily undone with the help of the tutorials in here. am i right?

ps: last question is not for you.is for more experienced forum users.
    i am here only to gather knowledge and to offer to others what i know. no bullsht please,so stop wasting good bull !

mtbr member
    Cycle it without the spring? If it feels smooth and there is no slack does that mean im in the clear?

mtb junkie
    yes. with and without the spring. smooth and no crazy/odd sound. of course you must wait for the reply of those who are more experienced around here. hope your shock is ok. i have a dhx5.0 and compress it 2 times only with zero PSI. BUT i was compress it.. i would say 2-3% of the total travel. now i am riding it that way and it seems to be ok.
    i am here only to gather knowledge and to offer to others what i know. no bullsht please,so stop wasting good bull !