mtbr member
    Mar 2007

DH Forks with QR

Why are there no dual crown forks with a 20mm quick release?
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Do you mean 9mm qr? DH forks are 20mm and Rockshox makes the quick release Maxle. If you do mean 9mm it's probably because 20mm is stiffer and beafier to hold up to DH abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No, I mean toolless design. AKA Quick release.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    No, I mean toolless design. AKA Quick release.
    Probably because there was potential to come loose = lost race or personal injury.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Probably because there was potential to come loose = lost race or personal injury.
    That and DH forks are thought to be a (mostly) Race-only application. So, if you flat, you're SOL on your run anyways and have to walk back to the pits where you can take your time taking wheel off and such.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I don't see how a maxle with the lever is any more likely to come loose than the DH light version that requires tools, but it does weigh more and if you flat on a race run, you're SOL anyway. For that matter, you're getting something out of your pack to fix a flat anyhow, so how does no-tool wheel removal really benefit you?

If you want to, however, you can run a Maxle with the lever in a Boxxer. That's not what's included, but it does work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I don't see how a maxle with the lever is any more likely to come loose than the DH light version that requires tools, but it does weigh more and if you flat on a race run, you're SOL anyway. For that matter, you're getting something out of your pack to fix a flat anyhow, so how does no-tool wheel removal really benefit you?

If you want to, however, you can run a Maxle with the lever in a Boxxer. That's not what's included, but it does work.
    Personally I am not a fan of anything QR, tooless or even light versions. My buddy had a small stick come up and open his QR'd lyrik - could have gone bad had he not noticed the additional rotor rubbing noise. Personally I have had issues w/ my Reba loosening and had a Boxxer (light axle version ?) that stripped & froze. I am fine w/ the security that comes from pinch bolts and multiple fastener sizes

mtbr member
    There were.

Marzocchi made heaps of forks with QR20. Many variations.
    Manitou made their 20mm Hex axle Sherman and Travis forks with QR lowers. I still own and ride them.
    You could probably include the RS Maxle in the same category.

Generally bolts are smaller, lighter, don't catch on anything and riders always have a set of allen keys anyway.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The 20mm simple screw off design (marz) is foolproof,

The purpose is easier loading in and out of my truck. I have to remove the front wheel every time, has nothing to do with flats.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

I have a maxle and an 06 boxxer, not compatible, different threads, etc. What are you referring to?
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    QR20mm is no match for pinch bolts in stiffness. All single lever QRs clamp by pulling the axle in tension. Nothing prevents the axle from twisting in the the lower. Pinch bolts hold the axle by clamping around the circumference. Huge difference. Having said that, I like my Maxle Lite 20mm on my Reba just fine... but I'm not racing downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    I have a maxle and an 06 boxxer, not compatible, different threads, etc. What are you referring to?
    my fault.
    I have a '12 boxxer, that came with a DH maxle (which needs tools), but the QR maxle from my Lyric (not sure the year) works with it. I believe the 35mm boxxers work, the 32mm don't.