mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Dealers/shops check air pressure in shocks before pickup of new bike?

I just picked up my new full suspension bike today, brought it home and the preload on the rear shock was terrible. I would have thought that a shop selling bikes would have adjusted the PSI before I picked the bike up. The shock was at 60PSI and compressed 80-85% travel with just my weight.

Am I off camber thinking they would have checked tire and shock pressures during the pre-delivery shop visit?

I pumped it up to 160PSI and tested again and now get 20-25% compression with just my weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You need to be on the bike fully geared up to set sag correctly. Unless you went through that procedure at the shop there is no way for staff there to set up your suspension correctly.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Dealers/shops check air pressure in shocks before pickup of new bike?

Sure shop should have done this and shown you proper setup. But, shock and tire pressures are things so routine for you to do on your own, that I wouldn't sweat it. Both need to be checked (tires regularly, shocks periodically) and are largely a matter of personal preference and your weight. And, sounds like it's old hat to you anyways. So, double plus don't sweat it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They can't set the bike up before you get there. You need to get on the bike to set sag. They should have done it before you left the store with the bike, and you should have asked them to do it before you left.

mtbr member
    If you asked... Did you ask? Even the best shops don't read minds.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A good shop will ask you how much you weigh and set the suspension to the general ballpark of a rider of that weight before handing the bike over to you. A great shop will give you a 5-10 minute talk on basic suspension setup and setup the sag on the suspension with you on the bike and put the compression & rebound adjustments in a good useable range.

Most shops will just build the bike out of the box, or at best the mechanic building the bike will set the suspension to his or her own weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The sales guy had my weight and height. I guess I assumed with that info they would have done some sort of ballparking. I went back a few days ago to pick up a few more parts and they were apologetic. They asked about the bike and I let them know my frustration. They apparently had multiple mechanics working that day and someone missed the rear shock.
    Scott Spark 960 XL Stock

mtbr member
    That's a good sign. Have them walk you through it. Also, find out if they do in-house suspension servicing. If not, there will likely be a long wait in-season when they send it out.

Get front and rear done at least once a year. Recommended is as low as 30 hours...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com