Mountain Man Dan

Dart 3 to Recon 351 U Turn...loosing preload...

Is it worth it to loose preload by going from a dart 3 to a recon 351 u turn?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Former Bike Wrench
    Cons...loosing preload
    Pros...lighter, stiffer, more adjustable, and far superior damper

Yes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You aren't really losing preload function per se, as choosing the right spring kit/stiffness will still account for the appropriate amount of sag in that fork model. You are correct, though, you lose the preload adjust knob for the u-turn/travel adjust knob on the fork. In short, YES, it's worth the upgrade.
    Last edited by Mingecutter; 04-20-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Trek 6000 - brushed aluminum
    RS Tora 318 u-turn
    2x9 w stinger/22-34-bash

Mountain Man Dan
    Another question. It has the pop loc remote, with that will I be loosing the adjust-ability of the motion control, because it will be either locked out full or not......correct?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You are loosing only the compression adjust. IMHO, not that it has any use for 90% of riders who ride it full open or closed (on the road) even if they have a regular compression (not pop loc). You can get an adjust lock (or what is it called) for your bars.

IMHO, Darts preload doesn't do anything. Recon is far superior that it can't be even compared to the Dart. Larger legs (stiffer), much more better damping control, bushings, lighter, Uturn. Recon works so much better, absorbing every little thing on the track.

Mountain Man Dan
    Looks like I will be getting a recon 351 u turn if the price doesn't go through the roof.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Looks like I will be getting a recon 351 u turn if the price doesn't go through the roof.
    Ive had one for about 2 years it's an awesome fork!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35

I am looking to get the rock shox revelation and I will sell my 08 recon 351 uturn. U interested? Steerer tube is 7-1/2in. remember the steerer tube doesn't need to be flush with the top of the stem. It should be bout 3-4mm below the top cap.

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Ive had one for about 2 years it's an awesome fork!
    Does this fork have Post mount for disc brakes or IS mount? It looks like I would need to get a post mount to IS mount adapter....crap.
    Last edited by ProjectDan35; 04-20-2011 at 04:33 PM.