Thread: Dart 2 Oil?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Dart 2 Oil?

I'm doing a quick rebuild on a Rock Shox Dart 2 fork and was wondering if there are any substitute oils that can be used as shock oil. SRAM calls for 5 WT in the uppers and 15 WT in the lowers but i was looking to go slightly heavier as im a bigger dude Any suggestions would be appreciated.

None of the local shops have any oil in stock and i was hoping to finish the rebuild this afternoon and go ride. The fork doesn't need to be perfect as the person buying the bike already has a replacement fork lined up for it. This is just so it can be ridden for a while

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Motorcycle shop. They carry fork oil.

mtbr member
    ATF works in a pinch, at least it did in m/c forks. Can't be picky about viscosity though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The only motorcycle shop in the area was closed today. I ended up using ATF and it seems to work pretty well. It held up well on the ride anyway!

Huckin' trails
    I used Bel-Ray motorcycle fork oil. 5w for last year and now just tried a mix of 5 and 10 to get something along 7w.

But yeah, motorcycle fork oil is the same thing has bicycle fork oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Former Bike Wrench
    Dart 2 has a very primitive rebound damper only...I doubt it matters much but for the record Rockshox uses Maxima fork oil these days. Very common in most US motorcycle shops.

Huckin' trails
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!