Thread: Dart 1 noises?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Dart 1 noises?

I have an entry level mountain bike I've bought about 5 weeks ago. It has a Rock Shox Dart 1 (I know, bottom of the line). I mostly use my bike to commute but started taking some small jumps over sidewalks and the such. When I jump, the front end makes a springing noise. At first I thought it was a loose wheel or rotor. The noise stops as soon as weight is put back on the front end. Is it possible the noise is the spring inside the fork? The noise is really annoying. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Only advice is to take the bike back to the shop and demonstrate the noise for them. My friend's fork, different make and model, did the same thing except it was more of a clunking noise when it was unweighted. The shop either fixed it or replaced it, I don't remember which.
    I had an entry level fork once upon a time, but it served me well for 3 years with no troubles.
    Yes, I do have a 29er. And yes, I still ride my 26er

Former Bike Wrench
    The Dart 1 has one a spring in the left leg...no damper, no oil, no nothing but that spring. It's not designed to do much more than take the impact of manhole covers.

Pull the spring and grease the snot out of it and there will be less noise, that is about all you can do.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What do you suggest to grease it with?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by smackay
    What do you suggest to grease it with?
    Something thick and sticky that will stay on the spring...auto wheel bearing grease usually works just fine