mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Is this Dangerous??

I know changing fork sizes changes the handing of the bike and strees on the frame. I just wanted to get some more opinions. I had a Nixon Comp on here and it was not too extrme. It kept bottoming out on jumps, so i ordered a firmed spring for it but its on back order in the shop. I bought this DH3 for $100 bucks for a future build because it was a good deal. So i decide to just throw it on till i get my Nixon back. This is a 06 Coil Ex. It orginally had a 85mm suntor fork on it now i just put the DH3 on it to get me by and still ride. Is this dangerous? lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sssssssnap!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yep..it looks as way too much for that frame...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How do you tell? I know it has to due with the head angle but whats the limit before its deemed not safe and will snap? Thanks

Are you talking to me?

You are wasting time.

Get that fork off of that bike, before you get hurt.

That frame was designed around a 4-5" SC trail fork. Putting ANY DC fork on it is just asking for trouble.

I do not mean, later, down the line type of trouble. I mean IN YOUR FACE type trouble. (did you get the FACE part)

Are you using a full face helmet? (SERIOUS QUESTION.)
    gfy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yea i wear a full face helmet. Thanks for the concern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    But seriously how do you know what a frame can handle in stress from a fork? Is there a way to test it besides having it break in ur face. lol (seriously)

3 "fiddy" for short
    Manufacturers often state what size fork the frame was designed around. If you do a little digging you will find what you need.

Are you talking to me?

start with rear travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellis83
    But seriously how do you know what a frame can handle in stress from a fork? Is there a way to test it besides having it break in ur face. lol (seriously)
    look to the rear travel in this case, to start. 4" max at the rear wheel. that tells us it was designed around a single crown fork, without a doubt. YOu NEVER run a DC fork on a frame not designed for it.

no way to test, other than common sense.

You are risking your health. For Real. I do not know how else to put it.

Do not go and sue Mongoose or the store it came from when you start spitting teeth, or worse. (not trying to be mean, just trying to help.)
    gfy

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes its Dang-ariffic!

trucido sira
    Dec 2006
    It's like putting Double D's on a 4'3" midget - WHY?

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Nameless
    It's like putting Double D's on a 4'3" midget - WHY?
    LOL! funny..

All in the name of entertainment...

mtbr member

WAY too complicated for most of us to figure out.....

How do you tell? I know it has to due with the head angle but whats the limit before its deemed not safe and will snap? Thanks
    There is no easy, simple way to figure out what the safe limit is. You are talking about some fairly complicated engineering calculations with regard to the mechanics of the fork/frame system (i.e. calculation of forces), tensile strength of the aluminum members in the frame, and shear strength of the head tube welds. The original frame designers would have gone through all of those calculations and optimized the frame design to suit the intended travel (~4 inches???).

Other posters on this thread have given you the right advice -- DO NOT use that fork on your frame!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks guys for the info and concern. I'll take it off. Nice example with the midget. lol

MTB B'dos
    That was actually my first MTB, so I have first hand knowledge of what the frame is like - Definitely do not try anything on that frame over 120mm and definitely no dual crown forks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So should i be concerned with my Nixon Comp on there? It says its 145mm but is really130mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So should i be concerned with my Nixon Comp on there? It says its 145mm but is really130mm.
    What matters is the fork's length not the travel (a DC fork adds more stress compared to a SC fork).
    I don't know about the Nixon but you need to contact the bike manufacturer and ask specifically if the nixon is compatible with your frame. My guess is that at ~518 mm axle-to-crown the answer you'll get is: .
    How safe it is? I don't know. It's your choice and you're taking the risk.

Personally, I don't mess with safety issues.