Class Clown

Damper upgrade for Recon

Wondering if it's possible for a Recon Gold RL solo air. It has aluminum uppers.

Apparently the Motion Control damper is the basic one with no adjustable floodgate (even internally). Part # is 11.4015.460.010, also 11.4015.460.020 (non-remote)

So I wanted to know if I could swap one made for say, a Reba, preferably with the external floodgate adjuster.

Class Clown
    After some digging I think I have my answer. In fact I remember coming across these threads but forgot about them. It looks like I have a bunch of options to upgrade.

Motion Control vs. Turnkey Damper

2011 Recon - TK conversion to RL?

Class Clown
    Well for anyone interested in my ongoing fork saga I decided to ditch the poploc for a crown adjust and upgrade the damper to a RLT DNA.

Class Clown
    Ok here's a question. Should I be upgrading the rebound damper as well? I noticed I can add the "black box" dual flow rebound damper. Basically the same one found on newer Revs/Sids and some older Rebas.

mtbr member
    Many will say (I'm included) the BB damper will make a difference if you ride fast through lots of chop/chunk. The BB damper is dual-flow, a port orifice for low speed and a shim stack for high speed. You can tune the shims if you'd like, that required taking the fork apart and changing small shim washers. If you trails do not have lots of chunk, you may not see a huge difference.

Class Clown
    Thanks you've helped with a few of my questions before too, much appreciated. I did find this nice writeup different fork but similar upgrade.

Dual Flow Rebound damper on Pike

mtbr member
    I was going to point you to that one but ran out of time before I headed to my son's soccer practice. My pleasure to help. BTW, I changed out my 2010 Recon 351 140mm for both BB rebound and the compression damper you listed above, it was a nice upgrade and since you have the fork may be worthwhile. In hindsight, it would have been better for me just to buy a revelation which had both but at the time I got a killer deal.

I still prefer my Manitou minute which has shimmed rebound and compression out of the box.

Class Clown
    I was actually going to get a Minute too, ah well. In anycase I'm way over budget on this fork but decided to "spring" for the BB rebound damper as well. We definitely have the terrain in New England where it should be noticeable. Plus in the back of my mind I'd always be wondering what I was missing out on.

Perhaps I'll post a little write-up on the swap-over. Stay tuned.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I was actually going to get a Minute too, ah well.
    Why didn't you.

Class Clown
    Found a pretty good deal on the Recon so I went with that. Plus my last fork was a lowly Dart 3 that I rode for years and never did me wrong. Still works fine actually. So I leaned towards sticking with Rockshox. Don't get me wrong it's a solid fork. I had little knowledge about LSC, HSC, floodgate, etc. but after reading half the internet started to get the itch for more adjustability.

So yeah spending some more dough on these dampers wasn't the plan and it would have been cheaper to spring for the minute pro but in the end I should end up with a fairly advanced fork.