mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Curious Marz 66 SL 1 ATA leak

my '07 marzocchi 66 sl 1 ata seems to be leaking from the ATA valve area, but not from the actual valve. the leak isnt continuous, its sort of like an equalization leak: when i compress the forks the air leaks out, and when the fork decompresses the air leaks back in. but as far as i can tell the fork holds pressure and doesnt leak unless i compress it. the air seems to be leaking from around the outside edge of the shrader valve, because when i wiggle the valve when its leaking the sound of the leak changes. is there a way i can tighten the valve? also, the ATA adjustment can turn infinitely many times clockwise; is this normal? i got this fork on a used bike, so im not extremely familiar with it yet and dont know what its "normal" riding feel is, so i cant tell how the leak is affecting performance.

any help would be appreciated!

Go back to school
    My 2009 definitely stops turning after a certain amount of clicks.

The ATA assembly is fairly simple and here is a good service thread:
    How to: Fix your stuckdown 07/08/09 Marzocchi 55/66/888 ATA fork: Pics

Unfortunately it does not sound like your issue is the common PAR piston issue. It sounds like something internal to the ATA assembly.

My suggestion is to open the thing up an see if anything is visually obviously wrong or if you can further diagnose the issue. If not you have three options as I see it.

1. Send it back to Marzocchi for service. Expect a two to three week turn around. (Unless you live near Valencia in which just cruize over there and get it fixed.)
    2. See if you can order a 2009 ATA assembly for that thing. I don't know if their compatibly but I know that 2009 had some big improvement over 2007. I guess you could also convert to coil (but that's the last thing I would do).
    3. Ride it! It works right. I mean at the least call marzocchi and see if they have a replacement in stock. If they do, ride that sucker until it breaks. Put it to the test.

ATA is a pretty nice system. Especially post 2008. It's unfortunate that Marzocchi got rid of it after spending several years refining it. I think more riders would like to see ETA come back though.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the input, i appreciate it. i called up marzocchi and they said the leaking in and out is a normal equalization type of thing, but the infinitely twisting of the ATA knob is something he's never heard of. I'll take it to my LBS soon and see what they can tell me about the condition of the ATA cartridge.