mtbr member

CTD / Kasmina vs. Avalanche SSD

So I'm trying to decide what air shock to get for my light FR / enduro ride which is an '09 SX Trail (I know about the problems of fitting an air shock to this frame and I think I've found a way around it, before you ask...). I can get an older couple year or DHX 5.0 that has the boost valve on eBay for $300 and get the Avalanche SSD damper plus custom tuning for pretty much the same price as buying a 2013 CTD DHX 5.0 with boost valve and the Kasmina coating.
    So the question is do the Kasmina coating and the CTD make that much of a difference or would it be better to go with the Avalanche damper? I don't have any experience with the DHX air, but I hear the older ones were not that great, and the 2013 version of CTD isn't that good either. Small bump sensitivity is paramount in my mind... My old RP23 wasn't that good at small bumps.
    Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's "Kashima," not "Kasmina."

I have a Float CTD rear shock and a '13 36 float 160 rc2. both amazing shocks, but i really doubt any of the feel has to do with the kashima. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I really think its just most of a marketing/aesthetic appeal.

Mr. Knowitall
    Or you could go for a Monarch Plus or a Vivid Air (if room). Better shocks than Fox Float for gravity biased riding.

Although Avalanche should be a great update (actually anything is better than a DHX Air (i guess it is the air dhx you are looking at)).

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would go the Rockshox route if I could but they won't fit at all unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Avalanche, no question. Go see what the guys in the Knolly forum have to say....
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Avalanche, no question. The DHX has an air-loaded valve that works like the older "position sensitive damping". It doesn't flow oil as well as avalanche internals. No question, the avalanche internals are great and they custom tune it to your bike, weight and riding style. I've had several of their shocks and they are great. Other companies have been trying to replicate the technology used on MX bikes, and Avalanche has been using it all along.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Mr. Knowitall

Re: CTD / Kasmina vs. Avalanche SSD

Quote Originally Posted by PARMAGEDDON! View Post
    Yeah, I would go the Rockshox route if I could but they won't fit at all unfortunately.
    If Float or DHX fits, Monarch (Plus) will fit. If DBAir will fit, Vivid Air will fit

mtbr member
    whoa, whoa, whoa... The part that I need is a stupid yoke clevis that for air shocks needs to fit over the end of the shock shaft. The bolt then goes thru the clevis and the shock eye to bolt to the frame. Does the Monarch Plus have the same shaft diameter as the DHX Air, because that would be a much better option...

Mr. Knowitall

Re: CTD / Kasmina vs. Avalanche SSD

Hmm, good question. I see a lot of SRAM sponsored Spesh riders on Enduros etc with Monarch Plus. I actually have a spare Float CTD and a Monarch Plus installed on my Liteville 301 so I could measure if I come around to remembering to do so.

mtbr member
    I would really appreciate that, hssp. You would be my hero!

Mr. Knowitall
    It may take some time, as I have an infant at home needing a lot of attention from me and his mother after work...

mtbr member
    Ha, no problem. I appreciate the help, irregardless