mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Crushed box : fork damaged in shipment ?

Hi everyone,

I have received a fork last week and didn't install it yet. The shipping box was fine but the Marzocchi box inside had a crushed corner, like if it was dropped on the floor from a few feet high.

The hit was probably right on the rebound knob as I can see deep marks in the bottom of the box. The know works perfectly tho and there are no chips or scratches on it. There was a cardboard piece holding the fork by the steerer tube but it was also teared.

The fork was loose in the box, but it has no marks or scratches. If I hadn't seen the box, I'd say it's perfect and couldn't have known it was dropped. It is the first time I buy a high-end fork (Marzocchi 66 CR) and I just want to make sure everything is alright before installing it.

I'll try contacting the store to see what they'd suggest, but I'd like to know what would you guys do with this. I'm probably worrying for nothing and can't wait to install it.

Thanks for your opinions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, think of it this way: do you expect your fork to withstand impacts over its useful life? Would those impacts be the sort that would be hard enough to crush cardboard? Perhaps from a few feet high, once in a while?

Install the fork. Put the first scratch on the lowers. Then, it won't be a perfect new delicate item, and you can thrash it like intended.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Haha! Yeah I know, I was a bit overprotective with this one. It's going on the bike tomorrow!

Sorry about that unuseful thread, just wanted to see if I was too concerned for nothing.