Penis Goat!

Couple of Duke XC rebuild questions

Hey,

Just going through rebuilding my '02 Duke XC 80mm again. First time was for an oil leak and I used the Enduro seals, which I was not very happy with. So this time when I had an air leak, I went with the OEM Rock Shox parts, along with the O-ring kit.

So my dumb ass is putting it back together today, get all the way done, and realize I forgot to press in the new wipers. Huh. So I pull everything back apart and am looking at the wipers, which come with the yellow foam parts as well. Is this all I need - put the yellow foam in first and then press the grey wipers flush on top of them?

Also, in the rebuild manual steps for reassembly, it says to install the lowers into the uppers and "stop when the lower bushing contacts the upper tubes." I take this to mean that the internal damper and spring (the parts which the lower shaft bolts tighten against to hold the fork uppers and lowers together) will NOT be at the bottom. So that when you do the next step, "Invert the fork and add 10 to 15 ccs of RockShox 5 wt oil into the Hydra Air side...," where should this oil be going? Into the center hole of the hollow Hydra Air negative spring shaft? Or does it just waller around in the space between the uppers and lowers? I'm guessing the latter, since they specifically mentioned to stop inserting the uppers at a certain point.

Thanks for any help - I'm leaving it alone for now so I don't waste any more GD fork oil.

Penis Goat!
    Well, I think I answered my question about the foam rings. Soaked 'em in oil and put them in under the wipers.

As for the oil question, still not positive. I just dumped some in.

mtbr member
    Where did you get the rebuild kit, and what did it cost you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS1980 View Post
    Where did you get the rebuild kit, and what did it cost you?
    no kidding! I think my foam rings dissolved several years ago, but the fork still works great. Oh well.